1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much to pay for handing out flyers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by carcrz, Dec 4, 2006.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

My guy is on bike... you could try to put him on one.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah bikes work well for flyering. I wouldn't follow or assist anyone passing them out. You're not entrusting them with the Crown Jewels or anything....if anything just buzz around later in the day and check to see things were done.

Flyers are cheap. The labor is cheap. Like you said work smarter not harder. You got better thing to do than babysit flyer-passer-outers :laugh:
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer to do it myself, rather than pay someone. I already have to pay for card stock, and printer ink, as well as my time designing them and cutting them up...

What I did this morning...

Many of the somewhat higher-income bracket homes are in developments, and they all have identical mailboxes with the newspaper box underneath.

I just drive on the wrong side of the street and put them in the box.

This morning it took me just about of 2 hours to hand out roughly 400 flyers in 3 different developments in town.
  4. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

This is how I do it too, it is preety fast. I usually get out about 500-1000 per day.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I don't recall seeing newspaper boxes. I might go out later & check that out though. Great idea!

I even thought about talking w/ the youth pastor @ our church about having a couple of the kids do it for a fund raiser. I know for me, I couldn't always make it to all of them when my parents couldn't take me. This might make a good opportunity to get some money so they could go on one of the retreats or mission trips. In this case, I might pay more.
  6. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

The old saying goes "You get what you pay for". Think about this: You pay thousands of dollars to have nice colorful brochures or letters printed up.

Obviously you have an advertising budget...right! Why not include top pay for some top perfomers. Having a supervisor on-hand will not hurt, Remember, people (teens especially) are motivated by money. I plan on handing out an iPod's (2) to the two teens that will be helping me had out brochures and flyers...guess what...I included them in my budget.

:weightlifter: :usflag:
  7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I do have a budget, but I want to be reasonable & if I can get the same results for cheaper I'm going to do it. I just want to be fair to everyone.
  8. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

Don't get caught doing this.

It's illegal.

Anyone who places mail into or onto a us mail box without paying for postage is doing something that should be reconsidered.
  9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

If you guys didn't know this, then you better read it and remember it.....I would never touch a mailbox even if it is quick and easy.....
    Now as far as the original question, I do my own marketing. I go door to door :walking: , knocking so that I can sign them up on the spot. As far as those no solicit neighborhoods, I just neatly tuck the flyer's rolled up in between the door knob and the door frame. Never stick it in the door, because if they have a alarm, it might go off depending on how sensitive it is......But I think knocking on doors is the most effective.....I dont know when I am going to get another chance to go door to door, because we have been so busy, and we are booked through February with installs and we are still doing some general mtce on about 40% of our accounts......