How much to sell these accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Aug 4, 2005.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I have 5 accounts- 4 @ 24 each, 1 @ 21 That I am going to sell/drop. I have a guy that is interested in them. There are about 8-10 cuts left this season, and they are NOT on contract.

What would be the proper price, and proper way to handle this?

2. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

The first time he gets paid from them he should buy you dinner and drinks. After that you are probably even.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Actually I think thats being generous :D I just gave away 6 accounts that total over $325 a mow and they were under contract. If you don't want them anything you get is a benefit.

4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

$20 bucks...................

5. shorty7616

I was thinking maybe a weeks worth of payments? Somewhere near $120?

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I say just remember him around Christmas time...

7. shorty7616

This guy is trying to get a few extra yards- currently has 3 resi. & 6 comm.
    He's willing to give something for them.....

I hate to let them walk for a Sirloin, a Beer, and a Christmas Card

8. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

$100 bucks if he will do it.

9. shorty7616

Anyone have trouble collecting $ from the customer after selling the account off

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, BEFORE you sell any accounts it is highly advised both you and the new person go to each accounts home or at LEAST call them and explain the situation to the customer (a personal visit is MUCH better, retention-wise). Introduce yourselves and blablabla for a bit, this will help build trust - Even with this method, plan on losing about 10 or 20 percent of accounts, not to say it will happen but don't feel bad if it does - Any other method can result in even larger losses, we just had a guy in a forum with a similar problem where about half the acquired customers were not paying (well think about it: They never agreed to it, and I'm sorry but in this scenario I'm on the customer's side because I don't like being sold, either - again it's not so bad with some type of notice or heads up).