How much to transplant 3 queen palms?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by radracer, Oct 13, 2005.

1. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

Thanks for reading, any and all replies are welcome and appreciated. I was refered to a new customer by a local nursery where I buy all of my plants and they would like to know how much I would charge to remove 3 queen palms that are all about 12' tall from the front yard and move them to the back yard. I have been reading about the queen palm to find out how to transplant it, I just dont know how much to charge to do it. The palms are in the front yard of a house in a nice subdivision, all the houses are fairly new so the palms have probably been there less than a year. The customers biggest concern is getting them out of the front yard. I am going to inform them that I will not guarantee the survival of the palms once they are transplanted. How much would you charge and would you charge by the job or by the hour?

Thanks
    Harold

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

They are going to be very heavy, it's much easier to drop/slide a tree into a hole than pull one out. I would go tell them their money is better spent buying new ones with a warranty. If you must bid, do it T & M its the only fair way for both of you.

3. CAL-LANDSCAPER

CAL-LANDSCAPER LawnSite Member

I agree w/ Az Gardener
    Also a concern would be any existing sprinkler system lines in same area.
    Any way to get some equipt to area? Use to lift out of ground.
    Other wise you can excavate around palms and use pry bars and blocks.
    Good luck.

TOM

4. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

we charge $125 per caliper inch to transplant trees. no gaurantee. that is fair and usually works out as far as covering labor etc.

5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i have seen people use a bob cat and tie a thick strap around the tree and the bucket and lift it out. cost i have no idea

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Harold

Is this a 12 Ft OA (over All) GW (green Wood) or CW (Clear Wood) ?????? Price will differ depending on size. The Slings used for lifting the tree are Nylon and can be purchased from Certified Slings. The Bob cat or skid steer can be rented unless you have your own. A Dyno Digger Power shovel is really nice for cutting the roots and saves a lot of time. My prices for moving Palm trees start at $ 100 each. But do a cost guesstimate of you cost plus a margin to come up with a realist price.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you have the space use a truck mounted spade to transplant. Slick and quick.

Digging Dutchman.jpg

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

There is only one guy in town here that has one and it works SLICK. He'll pre-spade the location where the tree is to be transplanted and then rolls across town to the tree to be removed. Spades it, tips it out over the front of the truck and then drives it to the new location. :cool:

10. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

Ric they are 12' OA. Thanks to everyone for their help. I quoted a price of $200.00 each. This seems high but this is a very upscale neighborhood and I have to get permission from the office before I dig. I charged the extra fee for the trouble to deal with them. They also have four other palms that they are considering digging up. I told them that if they had me do all of them I would give a $25.00 discount per palm. Thanks again to everyonr that took the time to give a reply.

Thanks
    Harold