1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much top soil can you put in a 3/4 Ton?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, May 15, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Wondering how many yards I can put in a 3/4 ton before its overweight. I know it probably depends on how wet it is but just in general, how many yards, thanks
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

About 1yard. Like you said, it depends on how wet it is.
  3. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 98 Dodge 2500, 8ft bed. I would definitely not put more than 1 yard of topsoil in it. The past few days I have had 1 yard put in the bed and 2 on the trailer and that is too much, especially since they always give way more than 1 yard where I get it.

On the other hand, today I got 2 yards of mulch in the bed no problem. It weighs much much less. I could probably get 3-4 yards if i had higher sides on the bed.
  4. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Up here, top soil is about 2000lbs per yard. I wouldn't hesitate on 1.5 yards. I used to haul 1 yard in my 1/2 ton with an extra leaf in the back.
  5. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

about 1.5 yards is what I can get in my F250.
  6. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Now it seems to me the only correct answer is .75 yards. You have a 3/4 ton truck and a yard of soil is typically 1 ton, so 3/4 of a yard is all the truck is rated for.
    Now, in real life most guys will fill it til it either spills out the sides or the rear bumper is dragging the ground:laugh:
  7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't overlook the fact that the sides of the truck bed are not designed to handle the pressure of being filled with soil. It is only thin sheet metal and the higher you go, the more torque you are putting on them. The sides won't snap off, but the metal will fatigue so that the sides start to wiggle and spread. Soon you can't close your tailgate and after a while the sides start flapping in the breeze.

There was a thread about dump bodies vs. stake or grain bodies recently. I don't think it got answered, but the question was why are dump bodies so short sided. It is because the sides have to be reinforced. That either means adding a lot of weight to the body taking away from your payload, or letting you add sides and replace them as needed.
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Also look at your GVWR on the door tag. I always stick with that number when hauling. I figured, don't over-do what the truck is designed for.

Around here we have weight nazi's. One guy rides around in a dodge dakota all day with weigh pads in the truck. If he decides to pull you over and your over-weight, sol.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

gotta remember that an extra leaf does not increase your carrying capacity...the GVRW is what it is....
  10. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

but the extra leaf would only work it the axle rating can handle the extra weight.