How much topsoil?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ripple, Jan 31, 2006.

1. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

So how much top soil is needed for a 30'X 120' yard?
    There is just shale there now. So I am thinking about 3-4" of top soil would be enough to cover the shale.

And how much topsoil can you carry in a Ttag dump truck?

2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

33 yards or so

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

40 ton will work, however you should have a few inches of clay under the top soil. The top soil in my area is mainly river bottom and will seep thru the shale. The clay as a under fill will help the moisture.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Gee I don't know never even thought about throwing topsoil over shale to prep for a lawn.

5. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies....should I install a layer of other material before the topsoil on top of the shale. The shale is pretty broken up(1-2" pieces)and mixed with alot of clay.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have drainage..does the area absorb water?Or does water sit a long time on the surface?

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go toward 6" over that. Three ten wheeler loads minimum (~20 cy each).

8. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

if it was 3" deep you would need 33 yards,if it was 4" deep you would need 44 yards .good luck hope my info helped you.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Rascoe is correct. You'll need 11 cubic yards per inch of depth for that area. Three of four inches of topsoil over other subsoil is OK, but over ledge it is not deep enough. It will most likely dry out too fast and mud up to easily. It is worth going deeper.

10. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Thanks again for all the replies. I have decided to go with 5-6 inches instead of just the 3-4 to allow for proper drainage and airation.