How much Transmission fluid?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by deere615, Oct 24, 2007.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody know how many quarts of tranny fluid I will need for my 2003 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 with the 4.8L V8?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on which tranny you have ? A turbo 350 takes 8 quarts per change 12 quarts if the torque converter is empty, Just to give you a ball park.
  3. deere615

Not sure what brand it is, I don't think it is an allison, but it is a 4 speed automatic. If that helps?
  4. Restrorob

No help, Just buy a case and do it. Then you know you'll have enough on hand, Save any left-over for the next time.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's a trick if you're DIY, anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of capacity is what she'll likely take, some things that help:

- ALWAYS do this on level ground with engine and trans at op.temp.
    - Buy at least 6 quarts, 8 is best.
    - LOOK at the amount drained, possibly use a fuel or other 5-gallon disposal unit and try to gauge it somewhat this way.
    - Guesstimate the amount drained best you can, refill 2 quarts right away and stop.
    - Then start the engine but leave in park, check dipstick, add 1 quart at a time and keep checking the dipstick.
    > DON'T OVERFILL!!! If you do you'll have to start over basically.
    > If in doubt whether another quart or not, under filled is better, bad as it may sound.
    - Also you can try, while still parked, push brake, and put in a gear or two while idling (NO GAS!), just see if it engages.
    > If no engage AND low dipstick, yes another quart probably won't hurt.
    > If it does engage and the dipstick confirms reading you should be gtg but:
    - DO Keep 1-2 quarts IN the truck afterwards, case it slips.
    - Drive carefully the first 500 - 1,000 miles or so, monitor closely for malfunctions.
    > More than likely it would slip around turns, careful throttle pressure can pinpoint this without any real damage.
    - If it slips, add a quart, check dipstick, keep monitoring, drive nice and easy during all of this.

It also helps, while doing this, to try and recall smells of used and fresh fluids, so you eventually learn to tell the difference.
    Years ago mechanics would tell me my trans fluid smelt 'burnt,' I hadn't a clue, today I know what that smells like, see...

Once you've done this 2-3 times it becomes 2nd nature, first time or two feels hairy but it's really not bad, easy does it.
  6. Restrorob

Tops, Doing something like this is a GUARANTEED burn. If the engine is at say 200 degrees op. temp the tranny will be 400 degrees.

I was in the auto biz for over 12 yrs. and suffered my share of burns from doing this not even at op. temp. (most tranny's have no drain plug) so fluid can splash as the hot pan is dropped.

deere615, Be very careful doing this !!!
  7. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you changing the fluid? Has it been leaking, high milage, smell, color, etc??

Have you changed trans fluid before? There are a few tricks to making the job easier, but maybe you already know them. If you supply your ven number I can tell you what trans you should have.
  8. deere615

Guys, Thanks for the help. Topsites thanks for all the tips, I am doing this monday, I am going to take it to my dads work and he is going to help me (He has done it once or twice). I will be careful. Eric, I just left for the weekend so I don't have the vin number but thanks anyway, I already have 4 quarts, but I am just going to pick up a few extra quarts this weekend. I am changing it because the truck has 118000 miles on it, and I don't believe it has been changed yet. I figured I would get it done now, before winter. Thanks all:waving: