1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How Much Trimmer Line?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MBDiagMan, Aug 21, 2005.

1. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Redmax BCZ2600 and I emptied the spool of the line put on it at the factory. The manual says to put 20 feet on the spool when winding, but they do not say anything to indicate if that is 20 feet before it is doubled up or actually 40 feet and then doubled up to a length of 20 feet. What is your experience with this?

Thanks for your help on this.

Have a great day,
    Doc

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I just wind the spool till it is close to the edge of the spool. No measuring, just stick it in there. Just my opinion, hope this helps

3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Red Max 2500(2) That is 20 ft. doubled to 10ft.

4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the quick answer.

I wasn't clear for those not familiar with this familiar trimmer that it does not have only one string exposed. When winding it, you double it up and when you get done winding, there are two cutting strings exposed. The extra string sure does seem to make a difference. The trimmer I've been using before this one was a single string, curved shaft. The difference is absolutely amazing.

I feel like I could cut my way through a tropical jungle with this thing.

Thanks again,
    Doc

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A good way to measure your line is with your arm and chest. From the tip of my right finger down my arm and across my chest to my left shoulder is 3.5 feet (like shooting archery only arms east and west vs. north and south (if that makes sense?)). I just do that about 6 times and then cut it!

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's funny how you figured that out, I tie one end of the line to the gate clip on the trailer then walk with the spool to the front bumper of the truck, and cut :) Of course, that's with .080 NOT .095

7. mcwlandscaping

A question then, should i be measuring my trimmer line? Thanks

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

No, just fill the thing up and keep it tight and not crossed while winding it.

On my stihls, I cut off what looks like it will be enough then stick each end in the retaining wholes then wind away. Then clip the remaining horseshoe of string into the holders and clip it in the middle then return the bump head to the housing and off you go. 2-3 minutes.

9. mcwlandscaping

2-3 minutes, exactly, good, i didn't want to have to measure anything, thanks, i love my stihl!

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that's funny! I would love to witness the event!