How much $$ volume will you do this year?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Az Gardener, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I was at the IA show all this week and attended a couple of business classes. The guys name is Jim Huston, also would be interested if anyone has used his services? Anyway he was explaining how companies growth occurs in steps and how with each step there are new challenges and skills needed to ascend to the next step. The steps are 350-K 600-k 1-m 3-4-m and over 5-m I was just curious how much volume the general populous on the site is doing. I am all residential maintenance and we will push the 400-K ceiling this year.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how many employees do you have?

3. Az Gardener

I am trying to figure that out myself, to get a yearly avg. I mean. Right now 8, in Sept. only 4. If I had to make a guess I would think 4-5 on avg. throughout the year. That is labor in the field. C'mon I showed you mine, now show me yours. Whats your volume?

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

well, this is the first year that I have totally worked by myself (downsized few years ago) and all I will say is that I make between 75,000 and 100,000k

5. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

AZ- I sat in on one of Jim's classes here at a local show. I even bought his cd, it was a great tool for comparison. However, most contractors don't charge what he says you need to charge to make money. I wish they did, then his pricing would be easily used.

I will do $385 this year, only $50k of that is extra work orders, and the remaining is contract maintenance accounts. We have 4 guys up to Nov/Dec and then scale down to 2-3 during the winter months. My average labor rate is $11.30 (everyone's hourly rate divided by # of employees).

6. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Now take that in comparison to where I worked before in Atlanta. The local branch that I ran for a National contractor, we did $1.8 million in sales. We had 6 crews (14 employees).

7. Az Gardener

Was that maint. or install or a mixture in Atlanta? 128,000 per man per year is great. I think that supervisors need to be counted in the equation to be accurate. Your company sounds like a mirror of mine $$ wise. I think I do more in the way of extras and less $$ from monthly services, somthing I am working on correcting this year.

8. bt99yz125

bt99yz125 LawnSite Member

I also took Jim Huston's seminar this past winter and he really got me thinking. Besides his prices being high did you like the course?

9. Az Gardener

I didn't really take a course, he had two three hour seminars with hand outs. One on working strategically on the business and one on mergers and acquisitions and how to value a business. The one on strategic work was old hat as I have been working with an E-myth coach for about two years and have been working on the business as opposed to working in the business. The merger and acquisition part was very enlightening gave me some ideas. I have got about all the value I can from the E-myth coach for now and am thinking of hiring Mr Huston. The big attraction was that he is in the business and is familiar with the #/$$$ but if you are all saying his # are wrong I may need to reconsider. Would be happy to get some more input. Another ? are his prices wrong because everyone responding to the thread is doing less than 500-k and maybe thats why were all doing less than 500-K in volume? No disrespect I'm here with you, just wondering? We didn't really discuss bid prices just business purchase prices and they seemed realistic to me. His fees for what he offers coaching etc. seemed very reasonable.

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The majority of guys on here are a bit smaller and most will never gross 350k