How much weight can a good ZTR pull?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Jun 15, 2006.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

If you pulled a bagging system that wieghed 700 pounds full would it bother the really good ZTRs? THANKS
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

you would feel the extra weight and going up hill would be tougher, but i would only use something that weighed 700 pounds on flat ground. it should handle it, but the question becomes, for how long? that kind of weight will really stress the hydro's. what are the specs of the ZTR(s)
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Most are rated to tow at least 1000 lbs.

but the thing is why would you want to bag that much. higher gas consumption, more stress on the turf and the like.

I don't know any LCO of any size in Florida that bags and carries that much weight. Most don't bag at all.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I was toying with the idea of building a super leaf bagger for spring cleanup.

My lazer is the one with the 10 gauge pumps. Small in comparison to what some of the new machines use.
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would'nt pull anything with the 10cc pumps.
  6. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a Grassgopper 721d to tow our 1 ton truck, and loaded 18 ft trailer complete with about 150 gallons of extra fuel out of a busy intersection, and up a 20 degree+ hill.. about a block all together.

The U joint on the truck broke... being that I was at the busiest intersection in town, I thought I'd give it a try, rather than sit there like an idiot..

At any rate, the pull was as smooth as could be, felt like I had power to spare. Shoulda seen the looks I was getting from people in traffic.. Kinda wish I could have caught it on film! :)
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO! Now that there would have been a sight!
  8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

LPDFZ ....:) the strength of hydro is amazing.
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The strength of Grasshopper pumps are amazing. They are twice the size of most ZTR pumps.
  10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I know there are some good mowers out there.... but I couldn't imagine using anything other than a 721d2... prooven itself time and time again!

not to mention the versitility with attachments and such.