how much weight

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CNYScapes, Aug 5, 2003.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with a little tipster dump insert in it. I regularly put 2 yards of topsoil in it. One of my employees says it is too much weight for the truck. What do you guys think?Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think is a little too much for that type of truck, I know for a fact is too much for my F250, but I'm not real familiar with chevies, for DOT I'm sure it's too much also

It's funny that you ask this, I just bought a f-350 dually it carries 2 yds of top soil like it has nothing on it, BUT I was pullover by the DOT las friday, he checked the inspections, tires everything, he even made me unplug the trailer and the emergency brake for it, pull the truck to make sure the tires lock, they did, I was pretty confident, then he ask for my cones and fire ex.. didn't have'em I just bought it and forget to take'em out of the old truck, then he weighted the truck, he said have a seat I'll be right back.

I knew he was going to give me ticket, for my surprise he gave me two, one for the fire extinguisher, and one for OVERWEIGHT, I only had two yard of top soil and was 3,000 over the limit, found out the truck weights 9,500 and I can put a max gross weight of 12,500, which I think is only a yard of top soil, I don't now what to do from now on, I usully load my truck with 12 yds. of mulch and never tough about being overweight.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Load her down. As long as you don't have too far to travel, you'll be fine. I load my Silverado with 2 yrds at a time also. I just don't make a habit of it.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the DOT was kind the township i live in has a truck cop he has scales and a clipboard and loves to use the stuff. if he finds you overweight he will red-tag you're truck and have it towed away after he finds every possible violation known to man.

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

How about 5 yds. of bagged mulch in a half ton! :D

6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I have towed 3 tons with 4cylinder Toyota tray back and single axle trailer(1 ton in the tray back and two in the single Axel. It was almost dieing in first gear going up hills. You should have seen the look on the guys face at the dump when he weighed me in:confused: I traveled around 20miles with that load so I'm sure your Chev could go mmmabey 11/2 to 2 ton. Not very good for it tough

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Are you sure about those numbers? 9500lbs is pretty heavy for an F-350, my 1987 F350 dually has a lightweight of 6000lbs. with a max of 10,000lbs (2 ton capacity). Did the DOT guy say the truck has a lightweight of 9500, or is that what your manual says? Or do you have an extra heavy body / add-ons ?

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Really, you can do whatever you want. If you want to put 2 yards of loam into the back of a 3/4 ton pick-up then that's your perogative. However that amount of weight requires a bit of braking power. I see two possible situations that would be a big problem out of many more. 1) You get into an accident... you are going to be at fault regardless, and your insurance may not cover you due to being overload. 2) You get pulled over by an anally retentive cop and get tickets up the wazoo for being overload. A 3rd one which I just thought of is; you kill the truck early because of maxing out what it can do.

My suggestion to you, get a trailer and build sides onto it a dump trailer even. Get a brake box put in your truck and haul the stuff like that. I believe that a 2500 should be able to legally tow 10,000 lbs :)

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Our association has DOT meetings once a year.

2 different officers each told me private.
    If you look over weight. You will be stopped.

Now bear in mind they do nothing in the winter when your driving a F350 with an 8' Western and a full 2 yard salter in the back....:D

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

It has a 12' stake dump body and the vehicle gross weight is just inside the door, (he pointed it to me)