How much weight?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CNYScapes, Dec 17, 2003.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

OK, Im looking for a new truck for mostly landscaping and snowplowing in the winter. These are my choices:

Ford F550
    Ford F450
    Ford F350

Chevy 3500

all 4x4

I know these will all make great plow trucks, my question is how much topsoil or stone can i really put in these trucks. Can a chevy 3500 hold 4 yds of topsoil? Im not interested in the GVWR of these trucks, I really want to know what they can haul. If I can get away with the 1 tons I will decide between the ford and the chevy, but if I need a bigger truck then I must get the ford. Let me know what you guys think, Thanks !
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I would go with the bigger ford in your situation. Say you put 4 yd. of top soil in the back of a 1 ton, which it will barely hold it but then you want to hook your trailer with a skid on it. You will put les wear and tear on the big trucks during normal use and if you want to haul something extra it won't be a problem. This is JMO
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If your looking for a truck that is going to haul any weight you can pretty much rule out 1 ton trucks I own a F-Superduty which is the first model F-450s. I would never own a 1 ton truck again there is no way a 1 ton would carry 6000lbs with ease I have carried 9000lbs.

I have driven the F-550 before they pack a mean load but they sure wouldn't want to use one for a daily driver. The truck I was driving was legal for 8000lb payload we had up to 11,000lbs on the truck.

As for having 4wheeldrive you will really have to think about that one I know you want to use the truck for plowing but for everyday use 4wheeldrive wouldn't get used much.

When you are grossing 17,000lbs (F-550) your going to be stressing driveline if your in places that requires 4wheeldrive. I really debated about converting a F-Superduty (450) to 4wheeldrive and decided it isn't worth it. Sure it comes in handy when your unloaded when you start hauling heavy loads you have a transfer case and a extra axle wearing out.

I don't know if I would buy a F-550 truck it would be really hard to charge enough per hour to pay for itself. For what you would have to charge per hour for a 550 a person could get a single axle 5 ton dump truck.

I can barely get 40 dollars per hour for my F-Superduty because you can hire a single axle 5 ton for 50 dollars per hour that carries more. For a 60 dollars you can get a tandem axle dump truck that brings you 15 tons of material at one time.

I get called todo hauling when you need to load the truck by hand or the place is too small to fit a 5 ton truck but most of the time people only want 2 yards of material.
  4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

F350 -12,000 GVW

F450- 15,000 GVW

F550- 17,500 GVW

F550 Stretched - 19,000 GVW (don't think can get 4x4)

3500 - Think 12,000 GVW.

I personally would get a F550 if you can afford it. F350 or 3500, you can only put about a ton on it legally. If you are deciding between F450 & F550, Then get the F550. You can put 7,500 LBS. Legally on it. The ONLY difference between the two is the REAR AXLE. They have the same springs, brakes, and frame, So ride will be the same. The price difference between the to is like $350 and you get the much heavier duty Dana axle and higher legal payload.

Heres a pic of my truck, F550 which when loaded with sand and plow, its still under GVW:

5. Gravel Rat

The F-550 does have heavier springs it is a extra leaf and a higher spring rate. The rear axle in the F-550 is a 135 Dana its pretty beefy with a 13.5" ring gear :D

I wish Ford would put a larger front axle into the F-450 and F-550 trucks the Dana 60 isn't quite heavy enough heck Marmon Herrington used to put Dana 70s under the F-Superdutys when they did 4x4 conversions.
  6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

When I was next to F450 I looked and counted the springs and they where the same as my F50. But mine was 2001 don't know if they changes now.
  7. Gravel Rat

I was told their was a extra leaf I never personally counted them.

You would think the 550 would have a heavier main spring pack as the truck carries more than a F-450.
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Chevy and Dodge top out at the 3500 series but you could go GMC they make 4500 5500 6500 7500 and 8500s can even go tandem wheels on the 8500s just a thought I plan on buying a few 6500s in the up coming year. Trouble you have is you want it for plowing as well.
  9. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevy and GMC both make medium duties. Same thing, different name. Chevy Kodiak/GMC Topkick. Hopefully they will be coming out with the 4x4 soon. There is a conversion for it though.
  10. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

I just bought a 02 f-450 4x4. I love it. I test drove a new f-350 with the 6 liter diesel, did not like it. Very happy with the 02 w/ 7.3 liter. The f-450 drives and handles better than our 99 f-250 w/ diesel. The f-450 has a 9 ft. contractors dump bed. We will use it for landscaping and snow plowing.