How much wind is too much?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TurfRyder, Jun 10, 2008.

1. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

Hello all!

Newbie here. I just started operating a Z-Spray Intermediate this spring. A few weeks ago I got into it with my boss about working in windy conditions. My feelings were if winds exceed 15 mph with gusts in the 20 range its time to call it a day. I was sick of getting sprayed in the face during turns, etc.

My question is how much wind do you guys think is too much for spraying and spreading granular? Its the spray that concerns me the most.

2. whenever my hat blows off its time.

3. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Michigan an applicator is responsible for drift control. If you are out spraying in gusty winds and your equipment can't handle it you would be in violation. From the sound of things your conditions were not favorable as you were getting spray drift in your face. The location you were at can also be a factor. 15 to 20 mph winds in an open area may be a problem, while an area with lots of trees or buildings may not. As a pesticide applicator the judgement call is up to you. If it can't be done it can't be done.

4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Here in Ohio, you are not to be spraying above the 10 mph threshold wind speed. Good luck getting anything done as i know most aren't able to assure they aren't spraying above that. I know with the Venturi type system that is on the Perma-green system that spraying has been demonstrated at wind speeds of 20 mph with minimal drift with the small droplet air-induction set up. I have my guys only hand can when winds are higher than favorable spraying conditions.

5. TurfRyder

Thanks. I did win the face-off with my boss as the owners of the company sided with me. I am glad I put my foot down though as my boss would have me get blasted in the face all day long and not care one bit. I simply told the owners that the product (Vessel) should not be applied in winds over 10 MPH according to their web site. I'll do it in 15's but once it gets to mid 20's that's it.

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Depends on the site. 25 mph is still OK with the right set up.

7. TurfRyder

I am running the Z-Spray Intermediate with lavender nozzles set at 35 PSI. Is there anything I can do to minimize the drift a bit?

8. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

two examples...
    was spraying yesterday in 17 mph conditions and it was to windy
    was speading he othe day with gusts over, when the fertilizer is being blown back over the spreader you are using it is to windy

9. MN Lawn Guy

MN Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

Spraying with wind 10mph and over in MN would be against the law. as far as spreading granular not sure about any laws.

10. TurfRyder

No wind speed laws in Wisco yet that I know of. I am responsible for my drift however. So far the only thing being effected by my drift has been me and possibly poor coverage. I do mostly commercial apps in wide open areas.