how much would u charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 12, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, another one of bobbys believe it or not scenerios. customer is due for cutting every sat. she calls friday:"my son bought a new lawnmower, and brought it over to show me. i asked him to cut the lawn, so maybe i could give u a "break", well, half way through the front, the thing broke down. when u come tommorow, u only need to mow half the front, and the whole back yard. so, since the front(2000sq ft) is half mowed, how much will it be? not the usual $30 for this visit, i figure u would charge maybe $20?" when does this madness ever end? im dying to hear, what would u do?
  2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Charge her $25.00 Explain that thats your minimum(unless your minimum is 30). Then explain you don't need any breaks, that this is your livelyhood,but that you appreciate the thought.
  3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know about you but most of my time I feel like im driving to accounts. So if I have to drive over for this lady just to mow her backyard I would charge her full price. It takes like less then 5 minutes to mow a small front lawn. Go full price on her. I have people do this to me alot and I just tell them any lawn that takes less then about 30 40 minutes get a minimum charge of whatever. Plus this stops the BS from hapening again with this customer.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thats the no. 1 reason to charge full.... sometimes a customer is not home and they have security issues and won't leave the gate unlocked so I have to skip that area (just one customer and it's not a fast growing area) so I just skip it and charge full. Sometimes if I'm back in town the next day to mow again then I swing by and knock it out if they're home. They dont' seem to care :dizzy:
  5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Charge the full amount. Explain to her that you don't need a break now you will get a break this winter.
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Charge the full $30 and explain that it did not save you anytime from half the front yard being cut because you will have to go over it all again anyhow to get it all leveled out.
  7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

How much Did you charge, Bobby?
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

All excellent answers here. I say charge full price and say, "I'm already charging you minimum." Hey, you still had to drive all the way there, not half way.
    Other things I have told customers and potential customers,
    I do NOT have a price for mowing half a yard.
    I do NOT have a price for mowing without trimming.
    I do NOT have a price for a half-arsed job. (For the cheapos who say, it doesn't have to look real good.)
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i charged $30, and told her the next time i have to lower my blades to match the close shave her son gave it, there would be an additional $5 fee