How Much Would U Do This Job For???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clyde, Oct 24, 2006.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

I did a HUGE job at this guys house this past week. He had a party on Sunday. Let me just say for the record this house is huge at least 2.5 acres on a lake three sides of the backyard surrounded by water.He let me know about this ALMOST 2 weeks ago .. VERY SHORT NOTICE for this big of an account.

I called him this morning about the invoice i put in his mailbox.
    It was 2802.00 in material along with rental of a tractor to move the mulch i had delivered which was about 35 scoops of a bucket thats almost a cubic yard.. Red mulch and Trimmed all the hedges which i had to get on a 12foot ladder to do 8 of. And clean out the flower beds To give you a since of all the work i had 4 Mexicans and me working total man hrs was around 126hrs
    which i charged him 2043.00 for

The materials included about 20% mark up ... is this an average mark up?
    I figured this mark up is for running around getting things ... like the weed barrier that i put in the beds after i cleaned them, gas and getting the tractor rented and the mulch bought. I did a short cash ticket on the rental and mulch with my local suppliers. But the rest was out of my pocket which was about 700.00

He wants to see the receipts tonite and keep a copy for his house exspense as he told me for when he sales the house he can include that in the price. Which i understand thats the way he does it. But he wants to sit down and talk to me tonite about it when i bring the receitps. And i am like Great....
  2. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I don't show my receipts. His invoice is his copy for his records. His invoice would show -10 yards of mulch installed =$600.00
  3. clyde

ok but what do you tell him when he does ask for receipts? I had to tell him no because then it seems i am trying to cheat him or he might think that.
  4. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

When you buy a rake at the hardwarde store do they show you the receipt? Maybe you have suppies for 3 customers on that receipt. I hope you have something in writing.
  5. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

Sounds to me like he got a hell of a deal. Your man hours only total out to $16 per hour. And 20% markup is certainly not to much. Like said above there is no reason to give him any more then your invoice.
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt give him anything more than an invoice
  7. GAskidsteer

GAskidsteer LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Who owns your business ? You or him ? Like everyone says, give him your invoice and that's it. That's all he needs for his records.
  8. clyde

well everything is cool
    To be honest this is a really cool guy! I found out tonite . I guess i was exspecting some shake ground ahead with this but it turned out cool. you always have your exceptions.
  9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

NEVER give receipts

it goes along the lines of what a guy that works for me did once.....talking about a tree with a customer "whats that cost" and he said the wholesale price

we later had a little talk that #1 you NEVER disclose your cost to the customer and #2 you quote "installed"

i was ready to beat him with the biggest/closest stick
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

He only needs to see your total invoice. That is how you run your business is all you have to tell him.