Lawn Care Forum banner

how much would you bid to mow 33 acres?

31K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  JCLawn and more 
#1 ·
A local college is accepting bids for mowing 2 large flat areas of lawn. One is approx 10 acres, the other 23. its all flat, smooth ground, they aerate and roll it every year. There is no weed eating, and very few objects to mow around. When it was bid out a few years ago, most the bids were around $17-18 per acre, but a lowballer got it for around $11 per acre! I have 2 26hp walker mowers with 74 in decks and a 60in exmark. I'm not really sure I want the job, cause it will take most they day for 2 guys. All my equipment is paid for. And I pay insurance and taxes and workmans comp. I'm curious what you all would bid on a job like this??

#29 ·
You can mow 33 acres in 3.5 hours with 3 mowers. Its wide open area. I am not sure why a guy is posting this question. First of all, if you are already in the business, one should know how to price something. Second, if a guy is used to mowing small areas, residential, light commercial, how can you give a resonable answer to this? Also, on areas like this, you have no reason to buy a Jacobsen mower. Its one job. I own two Jacobsen R311T mowers, but we mow 450 acres a week! I think I read $1500 is what someone would charge for this, really? I am not sure why anyone ask or answers the questions about what to charge. It all depends on what your area can and will pay. I know out here in the middle of Iowa, I cant charge near what others do, especially on plowing snow. The market just won't bear the higher prices. These questions are kind of funny to read, but even more comical when I read the responses.

#30 ·
thanks txlawn for your formula. I looked at the property today and its not as flat open mowing as i was led to believe, there are several buildings, track, driving range softball field and 2 small ponds and rc airplane runway to go around. it also has some rough spots.

#34 ·
I understand different areas charge different prices but what the *^&* how can anybody or myself be missing this. I run a 48 walker yes i know its slow ive had some experiences with the fast stand behinds 54 in but it would take me 1 hour going 5 mph with the walker to mow (landscaped) 1 acre of grass 43,500 sqft or whatever it is and you could probably say 45-50 min with a stand behind. I know for a fact that the bigger lawn companys around here charge $180 for 1 acre mow and trim and personally I charge 120 mow and trim or $99 just to mow what can I possibly be missing or how on earth could someone charge even $20 an acre people slam lowballers on here all the time but if I could sub out all my work based even on $50 an acre I sh!t you not I promise I would be richer than anyone one here or in my area period. My avg lawn is 15k sqft of grass and my avg price is $45+tx. So can somebody please tell me what could I possibly be missing. Would I touch 33 acres? Yes! For absolutly anything less than $2640 + tax put the contract in front of me and not a chance in the world would I take it after overhead, paying employees and myself plus the very soon replacement of the equipment not worth it.

#36 ·
the other way to look at it is one guy can mow 3.5 to 4.5 acres per hour, thats still $98-126 per hour. Just curious how much some of you are charging an hour, and what kind of overhead you have that requires that kind of cost to cover expense. around here i think the equipment dealership is only charging $75 an hr and the mower dealer is @ 60 or 65.

#37 ·
Agent walker my overhead is about $28 ph and try to pay myself $30 ph after taxes obviously not so much. Given your name I am curious to if you run a walker? If so how is it possible to mow 3.5-4.5 acres ph with 1 guy. I was looking at a navigator that is 2mph faster than a walker and claims 3 something acres ph. As I stated it would take me 1 hour to mow 1 acre of grass at least. I dont have any straight wide open yards but how is it possible?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.