how much would you charge for this job!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cupzandamug, Jun 3, 2007.

1. cupzandamug

cupzandamug LawnSite Member

quick question guys.......

i was on my way home on friday when a lady blowing her driveway with an electric blower flagged me down and said she had 15 acres she needed cut ASAP. i cut residential and although this is still residential its a bit bigger than my usual yardsanyway is wide-open field, not alot of obsticles. i was thinking around 75-100 per acre, not trying to under-bid the job, so if im in the right neighborhood, could you give me a shout! probably call him back on monday.i think they said the property was used for functions.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well no, always with grass cutting, the bigger the area, the lower the cost per square foot. It still costs more in the end to cut a large area than a smaller one, but it's not exponentially so. For example, I get $35 for a 1/4 acre, but $45 for 1/2 acre and only $55 for a full acre, and it keeps coming down.

For 10-15 acres I would normally price it closer to $25 an acre but you really need a WAM to deal with it, unfortunately with my machine it would take longer, but not forever, still it's closer to $30 / acre and I have other caps...

Truthfully, this one might be easier to charge by the day, if it's really 10 or 15 acres then it's going to take 6 - 8 hours minimum, likely closer to 10 or 12, assuming the grass isn't a foot tall or whatever other nonsense (and idk why but I just get that feeling)...

So, how BIG is this area?
    Can I look it up?
    What about the grass, how TALL is it?
    Far as obstacles, there's no telling until I get into it what I will find, spare me please.

Well, I have to know, otherwise it's by the hour, I can cut around 2 acres / hour and on a solid 6-8+ hour deal I can do it for 3-400 but likely it will take all day, so $400 for starters and I'll get going at 8am and work until dark if I have to for that kind of money, BUT if it takes me into a 2nd day then it will be more... I can, with the headlights, work through darkness as well, but past 8-10 hours the price goes up from $400, that's my daily cap is $400 / day but once it gets dark the clock keeps ticking at around $45 / hour.

Dunno what else to say, without seeing the actual turf, and I have to know the acreage, and I mean I want to see it in some legit black and white form, enough of the guessing here, give me the area and give it to me straight or the price just doubled.

In conclusion, charge a fair price but don't leave yourself open, if this is all the information you can glean then you will need an escape clause, some kind of agreement where if it's not really 10-15 acres OR if it's all of 15 acres and spots of it are just unreal then you also get paid more, that type of thing. Heck I'll spring for a set of blades so long they're not ruined, but a ruined blade will run $15 each, and a flat tire's going to cost $5, per flat, lol.

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Depends, probably in the $600 neighborhood.

4. cupzandamug

so about 40 dollars an acre?

anybody in the maryland area?

5. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

I would charge $35 per acre if 15 acres. If 10 or less $40.

6. cupzandamug

how much is a gallon of gas,today, june,3rd 2007, just curious? in indiana

7. Grits

from Florida

This is where the "it depends" part comes in. Depending on the terrain, obstacles, etc. But around $40 per acre is a starting point. Maybe $35, like someone else suggested.....it really just depends. But somewhere in this neighborhood would be good.

8. cupzandamug

o.k. gas is about 3.19 to about 3.25 a gallon,so im wondering is your price per acre 35-40 dollars because you are paying, oh lets say........2 dollars and some change? or is that the going rate w/ your gas price being simular to my area?:weightlifter:

9. Grits

from Florida

I haven't changed my prices yet because of the gas prices. But my gas prices are similar to yours.
    The gas price inflation is just a very small part in your cost of doing business. Are you licensed and paying taxes and insurance?

10. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

Regular gas in Indy is anywhere from $3.29 to $3.50 depending on what side of town you are buying on. As mentioned in previous post by someone else...gas price is only one part of your bidding on this property. What are your daily costs, insurance, taxes, etc...