How much would you charge for this job ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hunlimo, Jan 30, 2008.

1. hunlimo

hunlimo LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hey guys!

One of my accounts asked me if I would consider removing a dead tree from her property.
    She just wants me to cut it down as fas as I can (no stomp removal). what do you guys think?
    The tree has to be cut from the top down , cause cable and phone lines running close.
    Here are some picture from the tree.:usflag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I appreciate any estimate!:drinkup:

2. 3glawnservice

3glawnservice LawnSite Member

take it from the top cut it down for her foe $ 525.00 it should,nt take anymore then 2 hours to do it

3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

First thing if it were me, I would call my insurance agent and make sure I am covered for tree cutting, second have here sign a waiver releasing you from any liability with the phone/cable company....and charge her accordingly due to all the risk involved...that just how I would approach it.

4. tsi guy

tsi guy LawnSite Member

he's right about two hours. is a good customer, or first time for this person. how much are you going to haft to pay to get rid of the brush? how busy are you. is you hourly rate 260 hr. me personly would charge about 300 and so would alot of tree companies

5. hunlimo

hunlimo LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks for the quick response guys! I hear you Safety First :waving:. I do have a pole pruner and I can reach 18' up with it , so I should be able to take even the bigger branches from the ground. :)

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a chipper? I don't, so I'd rent one. I'd do this for 650, nearly flush cut, IF I did it. Dead trees can be tricky. I know guys that would not climb this one. Not sure I would want to either. A company like Davey would use a cherry picker, no climbers, and for good reason. Me.... I'd refer the job. just a little too risky, given the lean and proximity to utilities.

7. tsi guy

tsi guy LawnSite Member

safety first your right!! but throw a rope over the phone wires and pull them away. you nee to get up in the tree. there's alot of branches to stand on to keep your balance. you cut 3/4 the way thru the branches to hinge them down and they fall by the base of the tree. or put a rope thru the crotch of one of the branches and tie a rope to the limbs you are cutting. I'd have that tree down in about 10 or15 minutes it takes longer to clean it up. now if the tree was 75 to 100 feet tall or by a house then leave it to the pro's. but that tree my girls could climb to the top. just remember when you where a kid. the only problems with the pole saws are that you get wack in the head alot:hammerhead:

8. tsi guy

tsi guy LawnSite Member

for a climber saying they won't climb that they would get laught out of that company and the boss would tell them there in the wrong business. I know I lol when I read that. I wouldn't go to the tip top but you only have to go up 15 feet to do that tree. Idon't think highly of davey's but I give them more credit than that.on a scale of 1 to 10 that tree is 1.5 on the scale

9. hunlimo

hunlimo LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thank you for all inputs guys!:drinkup:

I know I have to climb it, it will be easier to take the crown down. Fortunately the utility lines are close but they are not in the close proximity of the tree.(about 10feet away). I have a small Stihl with a 16" blade , would that be enough or should I rent a bigger saw ?

10. tsi guy

tsi guy LawnSite Member

as long as you have a sharp saw. your going to spend some time on cutting the stubb.you could always take some weight off the back side and put a pull rope as high as you feel safe and pull it side ways. I see its leaning back towards the wires but 3 guys or pick up truck could do it. and rember you can pull those utility line back a few feet to give you some extra room. I don't know much about grass but know ALOT about tree work 10yrs of experience and thousands of trees under my belt. but if you worried subcontract it out and at least get your hand in the pot for alittle of the pie. Iherd of alot of home owners messsing them self up and that's no joke!!!