How much would you charge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jsprouse, Jun 22, 2007.

1. jsprouse

jsprouse LawnSite Member

I was going to try to charge about $1 a minute to mow my lawns.

My question is - About how long should it take to mow an acre with only a few trees and other obstructions and a 21" pushmower?

2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

It's probably going to take a little over an hour with a 21 - maybe closer to 1.5 hours. You should be able to charge at least 60-65.

3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a different pricing sytem other than a dollar a min. If you keep that system, don't tell the customer; "You took only 41 minutes, not 44; your watch is fast, blah blah blah"
    Maybe try pricing by the hour or half-hour.

4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

I price by square foot, which does ultimately come down to per hour. Each lawn will differ, especially gated lots. didn't take me long to figure that out.

5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

60 dollars an hour to mow with a push is very high.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

A little over an hour to mow an acre with a 21"?

I'd think more like 2 hours at least.

But my answer would be I am not mowing a property that size with a 21"er...

7. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

The dollar a minute rate is ok, but not with a 21". When i was mowing with just a 21" i obviously went a lot slower. Id charge more like 75c a minute at the most. Especially when your mowing a large property like that. It will take you some time depending on obsitcles. A guy with a z or a big walk behind can do it in less than an hour and fiveoboy is probably right, it will probably take close to two hours.

8. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

yeah, to charge a 60 an hour you need a large walk behind (48") over TWICE the size of a 21" ....... 30 to 45 an hour is more in the ball park.... i have like 21 or 22" and i charge around 35 an hour..... another thing is for jobs i drive to i have a 35 dollar minimum..... 60 an hour is way to much (unless someone agrees to pay you that much) :)