1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much would you charge?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ned5485, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have got a lady that I do alot of lanscape maintenance for. She wants me to wash and reseal her driveway. It is exposed aggregate and just under 1500 sq ft. Its going to cost me about $220 for the 15 gl of sealer, but I have no idea how long it will take my 2700 PSI power washer to clean it. Or how lomg it will take me to roll it on. Does anyone have any experience with this? I dont know what is a fair price. Working by myself, does 10 hours seem like way to long?

Thanks, Ned

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

so, it sounds like you have about a 100ft long drive way? I don't do any presure washing except for clean up after a job, but unless you have one of those handy dandy orbital washing heads, i would say you would be washing at least one full day. But i am no pro at this and may not know some of the secrets to productivity. Also, can the driveway be sealed in one pass, or are there going to be multiple coats and multiple trips to the job site for additional coats? I try to average $500/day after all my cost for profit. If you have a two day job, add up your cost and add $1,000 to it. Or you could call a presure washing company, make friends with them and see what they would charge you to do it, add a few bucks to it and sit back and watch them the first time.
  3. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

Pressure washing a 100ft driveway with a orbital should not take any longer than 3 hours max. I don't think you can seal the driveway in the same day you pressure wash it. I think the concrete needs to dry out.
  4. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Not that it matters much, but it is less than 100 ft long. It is an "L" shape. But, almost 1500 sq ft just the same. I dont seem to have anything that is handy dandy. And deffinately not an orbital washing head. I will just have to wash it the old fashion way. And yes, it does have to dry. The sealer says to "wait 24 hours after pressure washing". I measured 300 sq ft of my parents aggregate and it took me almost 2 hours to wash it. Am I doing something wrong? Surely, I cant be trying to get it too clean? Is the washer just underpowered, or is that time per area normal? I am thinking the rolling of the sealer will be much quicker. It says"1 coat is usually enough".

$500 a day?! I dont think I would ever get any jobs if I bid that high. I am usually trying for $20 to $30/hr after costs. Am I selling myself to cheap?
  5. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

i think you may be spending a bit too much time washing. just figuring in my head here i think 300 should take about thirty minutes with the pressure washer i have used. however i dont know the pressure on that unit. hope this helps.

6. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

You can rent an orbital for about $30 a day. Well worth the money.

How many gallons per minute is your pressure washer? That may have something to do with why it's taking so long. I think mine is close to 4gpm.