How much would you charge.......

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by White Gardens, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If you were a sub-contractor and was going to use your N-loader with a 12 foot pusher box to clear snow from parking lots.

I know this is a snow question probably meant for Plow-site, but to me it's more of a standard operating rate for equipment usage.

I was thinking 100 bucks an hour give or take depending on the market.

Any thoughts.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

White gardens.......I just got the "snow bug" after avoiding it for years. I supplement the pushers/salters. We do haul offs. So, here is what I have learned so far: pushers get paid around here by the push. Each push is considered 2" of accumulation. Guys charge up to 28 cents a lb for salting and this seems to be their bread and butter. Xmas/New Years pays double rate. $100 an hour plus transport seems reasonable to me for commercial.....

3. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

12ft box is clear, but how big of a loader? $100 per hour? How soon can you get to Iowa City?

A deicent price for a plow truck is $65 per hour (Truck with Plow) A loader with a 12ft box can push roughly 4 to 5 times the amount a truck can push, so take $65X4 or 5 and thats what a loader and a box should be making.

Me, I do 95% of my pushes by the push so on some of them I can make in excess of $300 per hour for a truck, as long as the driver isn't screwing around, loaders can make at least double to tripple that if the accounts are close by.

I do a handfull of hourly accounts, where each piece of equipment that is onsite is paid per hour that its there working. on this account I am running my PT60 and RC50 and lets just say, they are making me proud on the money end.

Biggest thing about snow is, its a CUT THROAT business. Companies will let a long time contractor go just to save a few bucks over a season. Quality service means little to most as long as the price is good.

To make real good money, you have to be willing to spend it to get it. I spend at least $50.000 per year just to get ready to plow each year, then spend another 20 to 30 during the season, getting more equipment for the rest of the season.

Its spend alot to hopefully make alot more.

J.

4. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! Here in so Wi I would never be able to get $250 for a loader. There are lots of guys with loaders that just let them sit because you cant get enough moving snow. This is in a town of about 70,000 people. Everyone wants to pay less because they assume moving snow is easier on a machine than pushing dirt. So you spend 70k a year for snow equipment? are you including buying something like a skid that can be used all year around? You are right on the cutthroat part seams like contractors play musical chairs year to year on the bigger accounts.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

O.K. I'll break it down a little better.

I just picked up a parking lot to plow snow. In order to do this lot, I have to sub out the loader and box.

The box is available to me (there is also another one for sale) and I am either buying it or the owner of the loader is buying it.

He told me he wanted 100 an hour without the box, and 110 with the box. This gentleman is one of my Landscaping clients and about a week ago I was talking to him and said he would use his loader to help me with snow. I've been calling a few other operators in the area and that seems to be the going rate for the machine, and that seems to be what I'll pay him considering the details of the snow removal contract.

I think it's a shade bit cheap, but not by much. I'm kinda surprised sometimes how little people actually charge for equipment around here.If this guy is more than willing to help me out, then I might pay him a bit more if he moves quicker than anticipated. He is an owner/operator and spreads ag lime/fert/ and sprays chemicals for a local ag co-op. I really don't think he needs the money I just think he wants something to do in the winter.

Here is a link to a pic of the machine (stock photo, not actual) he has. I think it should do just fine. As far as I know, he has his Big-wheel floater truck and trailer to get the machine to town. I need to talk to him, but the pusher box will probably stay in the parking lot all winter and moved when the season is over.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=160462&d=1251945263

6. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

$100 hour for a 544 size loader is a cheap.

7. J. Peterson Grading

from IA

No. Year round purchases are not included in my snow purchases.

This year is pushing $70,000, last year was about $35,000, year before that was something like 12 to 15,000.

As I get bigger, I tend to have to spend more to do it.

If this guy is serious about the loader pricing, then hire him.

How are you just now getting a contracto to plow a parking lot? most every other lot has now been contracted out for over a month now.

J.

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

J- I have a lot that takes 5 hours on average (2"-5" accumulation) to push with a 3/4 ton truck with a 8'2" V-Plow, how long do you think it would take with a skid and 10 ft. pusher box? It's almost wide open except for a few light poles and and a few islands.

Also, how would a pusher box/skid do on a condominium complex where the driveways and streets both need cleared? Would I want a rubber edge box? I think it would work pretty good along with a truck.

9. J. Peterson Grading

from IA

If its taking you 5 hours to push a lot with a truck, it needs to be done with a loader and pusher. I wouldn't even touch a lot like that size with a truck. No way.

A 10ft pusher will push 3 times what your v plow is pushing, so a safer bet would be to say you could move twice as muck snow with it, thus cutting your plowing time in half. But still in what I am assuming is a five acre lot, (@ 1 acre and hour with your set up) I would still run a loader with at least a 12ft box and get out of there in 1/3 the time.

A pusher in a condo complex kinda sucks. I would take a good look at a Kage system pusher for condo clearing. They are the best of both worlds, and are price fairly.

Plus they have a good video on thier website of what you want to do with one.

J.

10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have at least one other truck with me, so it's done quicker, but I know a pusher box would be better.

What kind of edge do you use on your pusher boxes? The most common boxes I see here are Mammoth, Pro-Tech, and Avalanche. I think I remember you saying you built your own box, but do you have any opinions on any of these? Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.