1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how much would you give for this????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 9, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a chance to buy this for $_______ if it is still there when I get the money. It's a Scag 52" hydro with a 14hp Kawasaki... good shape. Some nut had it with the deck in the lowest setting, see the front casters! LOL... I know what their lawn looks like now haha. It has a new pump on one side as well. It starts first pull and has a manual blade clutch. What do you all think it is worth? Needs no repairs and back tires have plenty of tread.

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

other side

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

last one....
    let me know what it is worth and I will tell you how much money I will save on it!

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

750, but i fear scags because i had ALOT of problems when i used em before.
    If you repainted you could resale for more i am sure.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Resale? no way! I need this mower. Its just right for what I want a mower for. I can get this cheaper than new clutches for that John Deere :D
    $800 for this and I know that Scags have a great reputation around here, more Scag w/bs in use than any other brand and I know they cut great and are reliable. I could probably get it for $700 if I wanted too.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB- I think that machine would be a little underpowered. I have a 48" Scag belt drive with the 14 Kawi, and that machine has problems at times with heavy grass. Do you know why he is selling it? Mike
  7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

It is at a small engine repair shop, I guess it was a trade or was as payment for work done on something, I dunno but it started first pull today about 50 degrees out, no smoke at all and it runs good. I know it's not alot of power for the deck but just using it on small lawns with regular growth, I think it'll be OK.
  8. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

That looks a lot like my 48 Scag WB 'cept mine's a belt drive. I absolutely love it. I have heard Scags do tend to leave a "bush-hog" cut rather than a perfect smooth but this could be me not sharpening the blades or running the wrong blade combo- (I'm not a pro landscaper)...

Your handles look almost identical to mine, as does the front casters and the deck. What is the serial number? I think it may be close in age to mine. 3262 is the frame SN for mine. The deck has a different one...

For 800 I would buy it. I gave 450 for mine with an extra tranny but my engine didn't run and the controls were rusted stuck. I have the same exact engine- no idea how old mine is and it seems to be fine. I have never had a problem with lack of power, I just have to run over high grass again sometimes.

The fixed deck 48 will drag in spots. You have to be careful. It doesn't look like it has an anti-scalp roller....

I'd be happy to talk to you about my experiences with it if you want. Send me an email @ heybruck34@hotmail.com if you want some experience.

One word of caution- wheel pumps and motors are VERY expensive (at least how I define expensive)
  9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

it does have an antiscalp wheel (see second pic, it's kinda hidden). With the right blades with the right amount of spacers on the shafts and the wheels and tight belts, it should cut fine. I like to cut at 3.5" or so, so it shouldn't scalp alot. Don't have the s/n...
    I know hydros are expensive, but my JD gear drive (no not belts, internal clutches) cost $900 to replace the clutches, not a good deal for me. Hydros are much more worth it, plus it already has a new pump on the one side of the Scag. Wheel motors last for a long time and are rebuildable cheaply anyway. Here's a pic of the JD with me on it. It's a 38" with 14hp Kawasaki and when I'm done fixing it up I'll only have $350 in it and the engine and tranny still plenty good, lotta life left in them I'm sure. 460 homeowner hours on it. I like it alot compared to 36" belt drive mower. No belt slippage! I'm 15 if you didn't know that already...anyway I will use the JD for real tall growth since it has more power per inch cut and has a deck designed to cut tall grass easily, then run the Scag over it.

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Eric looks ok. My 52 Lesco has a 14Kawi. Looks like the blades

are at the top lots of spindle bolt showing. I still have a 17Kawi

540 es. would work on Scag, its wider than Lesco. I have 3 spacers on bottom on castor keeps the roller off ground.

Have 4 on spindle, 1 on top. In June, 3 & 2 top. try $500