1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how much would you offer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Hello everyone. I had gone to look at a job the other day for a regular customer of mine. He had in his driveway a used trailer that he wants to sell. He bought it from a guy who just redid it. It's a 5.5' by 18' long. Nice new tires, Electric brakes, breakaway box, chains, ball coupler, and some other normal things too. The trailer needs a new deck, and a new ramp wouldnt hurt it much either, although it can be used as is. He wants 800 dollars for it. Now I know that I will not have to give him any money, just gotta do some work there over the winter. So what would you suggest as far as that being a reasonable price? P.S. - a 6.5' x 16' with the same basic setup runs for give or take 2,100 bucks by me (new of course).
  2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds reasonable, I paid 690 for a 6 /1/2 X 10 w/ ramp, no brakes, etc. this spring.

Spend a hundred or two on the deck and you've got a deal.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

5'5" is pretty narrow. I'm assuming it an angle iron trailer. Since it needs a floor and gate, I would probably try for around $650-$700. I sold a 6'6" wide 14' in the spring that only needed paint and floor for $450.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

5. MowForReal

MowForReal LawnSite Member

Just to warn you if you are not aware: There is a law in NY now that every trailer with more than one axle must have brakes on every axle. If you are talking about a trailor that has two axles and brakes on only one axle---Don't get it! If it has brakes on both axles you may consider it. I should tell you that in Albany, less than three hours north you can get 16x6 tandems with the gate and dual eletric brakes for around $1600 plus tax. Look into that before some junk somebody might have around Westchester. Those are my thoughts. Takem or leavem.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

2,100 bucks for a new 6.5 X16 trailer with brakes??? you gotta be kidding me!

[composure GEO, you got a live one on here]

hey LB82, for 2,100 bucks I'll deliver you the trailer of your dreams! of course I am just gonna give $850 for it but you get it for $2,100. the difference is of course MY TIP!

let me know when you need delivery. I intend to please!

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

550 max for what you described . and thats if u need it and u got the flooring
    and can do the work yourself .really not to much to it tho.
    luck to u
  8. Geo, I kid you not. That is asking price of dealers by me. Even if you go about 1 hour north, or thereabouts the price is still the same. I paid last year $2,300 for my trailer because I got the pintle setup with it instead of the ball coupler. My trailer is a performance? or parker? 6.6' x 16' dual axles with the brakes on both. Ramp, pintle, brake away box, and that's about it.
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess that's why he lives near "one of the richest area in the country". Everything is so cheap people can save their money. :p

Geo...Can I get one of those trailers too? I am a bit closer so you can save a little in gas. ;)
  10. Scraper, check into it and you will find that Westchester County, and Fairefield County are some of the most expensive places to live in this fine country of ours.