How much would you spend in repairs before buying new?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Feb 8, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm taking the Leco 48" hydro in tomorrow for repairs. I can buy a brand newbie for 3899. At what price do you decide that a new purchase is better than an overhaul?

kc

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

When it costs you more to keep them consistantly running than to just buy new.

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

So are you saying 3899 in yearly repairs is the breaking point?

kc

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Can't speak for the poster but I would say no.

New equipment you have a warranty usually one to two years. Mower probablly goes about 3-4 (perhaps more, its a crapshoot with a lot of variables) without need for major repairs. Take 4k, divide by 4 years thats 1k per year...if you are paying around 700-1k in repairs each year its probablly worth the purchase of new equipment.

Don't forget when looking at repairs to factor in your downtime which costs you money, YOUR time (or employees) to drop off/pickup equipment, gets the parts, etc.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

when the repair cost half the price of new.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I go with the 30% of a new one rule my old employ used. The only thing I have ran into more than once is when you get hit with a major repair it usually means there is more big buck items to go out. Ill use the 30% one time then its gone.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'll usually hang onto mine until I see a trend of problems developing with them regardless of how much I've spent on them. Like my 36" Exmark I got rid of last May. I had bought it in 2000 and it had around 800 or 900 hours on it. It had been reliable for the most part with the exception of the spindle bearings. A close inspection last winter revealed the hand linkages were getting sloppy, the deck had a crack, the pullies were wearing down, it still had the original gear drive tranny, some of the idler pullies were getting real loose, tires would have needed to be replaced soon and the Kawi 14 was getting tired. It was certainly in good enough shape to continue cutting grass for a little while longer without repairs so I got rid of it at that point and bought new.

8. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

of course 3899.00 is way to much money to keep it running, think about gas and grease, and the blades, your up to atleast 5000, thats enough to buy a real nice machine... i would def. buy new, save yourself some headaches

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If your spending $3899 to keep a 48" Belt drive running, I'd hate to see what a ZTR is costing you. Honestly though if your spending that much to someone work on it your better off bying a new on before it gets to that point. Personally I could COMPLETLEY REBUILD 2 BELT DRIVES for that kind of $$$ and have money left over.

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My rule is that you take the present value of the machine and then multiply that x.50 and if the estimated repairs exceed that number, I either advise the customer that they are going to put more into the machine than they will ever get out of it and that it should be retired, or I tell them that they should sell it with the problems as is for parts as they would come out better than paying me to fix it then trying to sell it only breaking even on it at best.