"how much you give for a thing like that"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wowmowwow, Feb 3, 2007.

1. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

im a young 26 yr ole, 5 yr in the mow biz....Independent
    started without a truck and mower. so at gas stations and elsewhere i get the run around about my equip and i dont mind talking about it. but what gets me the most is the title Q, and how i in the world do i afford it.

i work for it.....does this happen to yall?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It seems like every time I run into one of my friends or acquaintances from HS, that I always get a "You do what? What else do you do for a living?" :dizzy: ... "Nope, that's it. I work for myself & the wife stays home w/ the kiddo." It's funny how many people don't realize what a good industry this truly is. I don't have to talk to people all day long & I'm not inside staring at a cubicle all day either. I work for myself so I can make my own schedule & book as much or little work as I want to. Life is good!

3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard the phrase "Get a real job" so many times over the years. Mostly from family members i run into from time to time. It use to really piss me off. Now when i hear that i ask them how much did you make last year? Than i tell them i made that or more and only had to work 9 months out of the year. That usually shuts them up.

4. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

The people who say this are the ones who think we should cut lawns for $10. They have no Idea about this industry so they don't know. Let them try to hire a kid in the neighborhood and see how far they get.

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I'm 26, and I get the same type of responses from some of my family and friends. My I get it from my mom alot, but my dad is very supportive. He goes to a lot of farm equipment auctions and keeps an eye out for things I can use. (even found an awsome deal on my mower, but thats another thread) I have friends that are very supportive, but....

I always get the question.....What in the world are you going to do in the Winter. They don't realize that you can make enough to support yourself (very comfortably) year round

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Ya i been hearing this for the 14 years i been fulltime , At first when i started i did work a winter job but as time went on and the biz grew i havent worked in winter for a while now . I had to work a winter job as i was trying to grow how many accounts i had .I been asked how in world do you have 2 1 ton duallys which are so nice and all thos mowers and only work 8 months out of year . Well i guess they dont realize that for thos 8 months i work sunup till sundown 6 and 7 days a week if the weather will let us i bet most of us work more hrs in thos 8 months than a normal person puts in 12 months . I guess i can see alittle jealousy when we are sitting on our butts in the winter . Now i know the guys down in florida work year round but from the northern states point of view this is how we do it. What do they mean a real job lol this is very hard work and iam like most i would rather work for myself than for the man . If i screw up no one to blame but myself and then i have to give myself a ass chewing lol

7. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies...and i get this alot..."you have that big mower and all you do is mow." i have found out the bigger the toys the more work involved.

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never had anyone tell me to "get a real job" before. I do get the occassional "yeah, but what do you do in the winter?" I do a lot of snow plowing, so that answers that.

The thing that irritates me though is that most people seem to think an $8000 ZTR costs "about 3 grand."

9. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

haha.... i'm 24 and bought my cousins business from him in august. one of the accounts that i got from him was an apartment complex where i have another friend of ours with his own lawn service working for me. one day a tenant that RENTS the apartment came to me with a problem he had with my helper and said .... "i'm certainly not gonna be talked down to by a lawnman!!". that's when i pointed out that i OWN my truck and the 20+ thousand dollars that i pull with it as well as my house and that my helper OWNS his own too. its amazing how many people think that this business is a "poorman's" business.... frankly it irritates me. so far i've never gotten the "so what else do you do?" but i'm sure i'll be asked that sooner or later.

10. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Yes they never realise how much some us spend on equipment to get the job done , but then again i am not one to have a coat and tie job myself i rather be working outdoors anyday . In this job we control OUR own destiny whether it be big or small. I laugh everytime i see my old bosses , i have heard and know it just pisses them off to see me making and doing alot better working for myself than i ever did working for them. Its one of those times you never look back .