How Much $?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 27, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am 14 and have been in business for almost 6 years. I have about 20 weekly clients. Whenever I go to estimate a job, I seem to be stuck in my 20-25 dollar price range. After I leave I always regret especially on the few commercial contracts that I have. So, is there any good way to calculate a fair price. Thanks for the advice in advance.

2. mcwlandscaping

ohh, just to help. I Mow, Trim, and Blow. You know, do the job as professionally as possible.

2005 Exmark Metro 48
    2 21" Honda Harmony II
    Stihl FS85 Trimmer
    Echo PB 2100 Blower
    Mantis Tiller
    8*5 Landscape Trailer
    Billy Goat Leaf Vac
    Plus Others

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Do you edge? :)

4. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

who drives you to these accounts of yours?

5. mcwlandscaping

My Mom or dad drives me to clients.

6. mcwlandscaping

Yes I do edge, dad has driven that into my brain (he is not a landscaper but takes care of his ofices property)

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

BEcause of your age people are going to give you a hard time. Older people seem to think that 20-25 is alot to pay a kid. What type of commercial jobs are you doing? How big are the props you're doing? What are other guys getting for the same size areas? Sounds like you don't do bushes or flower bed work so that limits you to mow and go. 20 props X 25 = 500 which is still nothing to sneeze at , especially when you have such low overhead. What do you think you ought to be getting?

8. mcwlandscaping

I just need a way to affevtivly price a lawn

I take care of several local stores and businesses. I get a call for a new job at least once a week. Once I pick up my new exmark this weekend I will be able to accomodate them.

I also do flower bed work on request. What is the best way to charge for that and other services?

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

General rule of thumb is a dollar a minute. So 30 min = 30 bucks. Anything after costs is really what you're after but recapturing the costs is the most vital part. The faster you can get the job done and move to the next one. I wouldn't quote an hourly rate or a rate based on time to them, just for yourself. That way as you get faster its more $ to you. There is no majic formula really, after awhile you will be able to estimate to yourself how long it will take to do something based on past experience. It may help to get a measuring wheel so you can calculate how fast you can do a flat open area vs. areas with lots of obsticales for reference as well as how much fuel, line, oil etc you are using not to mention drive time which will become an important factor as you grow.

You could try this too but I haven't used it and I don't know anyone that has so don't know how accurate it is.

http://www.lawncaredirectory.com/estimatecalculator.htm

Good luck :waving:

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The bigger the lawn the more money you add and the harder the terrain and if you have to move stuff out of the way and how long it;s been neglected and how much edging to do and if you bag or mulch,all those you take into account when pricing a job.More work more money simple as that.More difficulty more money simple as that.