how much?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1999frontier, Jul 25, 2006.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I had a realtor call me yesterday and wanted me to look at this house to cut until it sells. She said they only want it to be cut once a month. She said it was about an acre, so I went and looked at it. By just looking at it it looks like it may be between an acre or 1 1/4 acres. How much would you tell her?

2. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I get about $90.00 an acre for a contracted weekly cut. If your only doing it once a month i would charge more than if you were doing it weekly. Also, you need to factor in certain things like, is the property flat with no trees, or things like that.. You need to supply a little more information so others can help you.

3. 1999frontier

from NC

There is about 8 big pine trees in the backyard. The front has 2 trees which are pretty good size. The property is flat though. Trimming time is probably 20-30 minutes. Let me know if more info is needed.

4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Your probably looking in the 125-135$ range. If Realtor says thats high explain to them its because of the 1 time a month. You would spend less time there cutting weekly or biweekly, 1 time a month grass will be high. If theyed rather do every 2 weeks I probably do it for 100$. Dont let them get you down any lower there relators theyll be fine stand your ground.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A realtor who wants a once / month grass cut, are you kidding me?

I wouldn't even give someone like that the time of day much less an estimate, thou if I was really bored, I'd insult them back with a 240 dollar figure (that's for setting the ownership issues straight with them lol).

Oh yeah, don't forget to tell them that if they decide they want you to do it then they will need to leave payment under the mat first so that when you come out to cut you can make sure of that. If they come back with some argument about oh but there's no mat, then tell them they need to figure out some place where the wind won't blow it away.

If they later call you and say all is good that they did as instructed, you go out there and find the money first. Since time is hardly a factor, you might want to go cash it if it's a check and wait until you are sure it has cleared their bank, then go cut the grass.

6. 1999frontier

from NC

This isn't the first realtor thats called me this year. Earlier this year one called me and wanted to know how much to charge for just trimming this one property. The front yard was fenced in so that means trim outside and inside and then the backyard had a deck to trim around and then by the garage there was this fenced in part that used to be a dog kennel. The grass or should I say weeds was up to my knees and I quoted her $80 and she said I didn't know it was going to be that much she said maybe $50. She said I don't know how bad it is, I haven't rode out there. I said it is up to my knees. She said she would call me back but I never expected her to call back. Was that a fair price or was that overpricing?

7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I believe around here that some realtors have handymen on staff for mowing and minor household repairs. My guess is paying around 8-10 ph

8. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a fair price to me. Looks like youve been involed w/some PITA'S the really cheap kind. Dont know how long been in biz, but do understand how it is if you NEED WORK,you need work. So stay with your prices if poss. dont letem fool ya, those are normal,fair prices. good luck