1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rockandroller, Mar 14, 2007.

1. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

Did a mulch job today for a customer which took about 10.5 man hrs. Two guys, two wheelbarrows and got at it. The mulch was delivered and provided for free by the city so I did nothing but show up and mulch. I would say mabe .5 man'hrs spent on deadheading, but other than that the bed was clean.

I usually do mulch jobs per yd $45-$50 for labor and pick-up, mulch being extra . Since I can only guess on how much we moved, I want to make sure I don't screw myself on price for such a labor intensive job. I was thinking about $450-$500. What do ya think?

Thanks in advance

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I might have missed it but how much mulch did you move? Was it a tandem or single axle dump? Did they only make one trip? PLus sign me up for free mulch delivered by the city.:clapping:
  3. rockandroller

The mulch was composted leaf mulch. Not bad for being free.

As far as how much, that's the problem. I could guess it was about 13-15 yards. I'm guessing by how long it took to move it all. I can move mulch pretty quickly, and this pile took about five hrs with two guys. The customer had three large p/u loads dumped by someone she knows that works at the parks dept for the city.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

$450 seems kinda low. I would push for between $550-650.
  5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Did you catch what truck delivered the mulch? Alot of the parks around here drive little dumps while my mulch suppliers drive the big dumps. 2 guys, 2 wheelbarrows, 5 hours, my guess is about 12-15 yards

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

If they were regular pick ups that would be around 2 to 2 1/2 yards per truck.
    I agree with J & R Landscape around $600.00. Did you do any weeding?
    That would be more cost.
  7. rockandroller

Thanks for all the responses. I like you'lls thinking. :clapping: More money:drinkup: I did a little bit of deadheaded, but no weeding. I'll push for a bit more, but I'm not going to stick it to them too bad. A+++customers!