How Much?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PrecisionLandscaping, Mar 20, 2007.

1. PrecisionLandscaping

PrecisionLandscaping LawnSite Member

How much would you guys charge for 10 cubic feet of dirt?

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

That is pretty vague question. What are you doing with 10 cubic feet of dirt?

3. PrecisionLandscaping

i am filling a whole where a tree use to be.

4. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really do that kinda stuff but wouldn't use some hardfill for a hole that big to cut down on how much topsoil you gotta use and to prevent sinking and make it cheaper

5. lqmustang

That's a small hole. I'd be around $100ish and that would fill, grade, seed and straw. In and out in about 30 minutes depending on the location of the area you are filling in relation to where the truck is parked.

6. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking 10 cubic yards........duh:hammerhead:

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

You can buy a bag of topsoil from Home Depot in "1 Cubic Ft. bags" for about $2.00 per bag. So 10 cubic feet of soil would be approx $20. Then factor in your time to pick up the soil and time to fill the hole.

8. PrecisionLandscaping

thanks i appreciate your help.

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im cunfused, you were thinking cubic yards when you said $100, cubic feet is smaller and less money. topsoil is over $20/yard screened. if it was cubic yards how can you only charge $100??? materials would be $200! instead of 10 cubic feet, lets say you need one yard of soil, say $25 materials, $50 deliver, $50+ to spread. if you hvae to drive far to get it, more for delivery. i pick up cant hold much more than a yard. is should be really quick if you have to back up and dump it off, if not charge more again.

10. lqmustang

Ecoscape was thinking it was 10 yards, I knew it was 10 feet, therefore I said the $100'ish'. The 'ish' because I don't know all the variables. As well a job that small I would try to combine with another job to keep soil costs down as it only needs about 1/3 - 1/2 yard.