How Much?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mini man, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

A trucking co. wants me to travel 120 miles....unload 1/2 load ( with my skid steer)...load up , drive another 100 miles and unload the balance of the transport and then I have to drive home again.
    How much should I charge?
    Chev duramax and 262 Cat skidsteer.
    Transport is loaded with pattets of firewood...approx 1 to 1.5 hours each stop
  2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you're looking at app. an 11-12 hour day. I don't know what your area is like with fuel prices and equipment charges, but I would charge a minimum of $750. Most of your time will be driving, but your loader is still tied up. You may want to consider charging an hour rate over a flat rate, in case of any variables that might hold you up. You could charge an hour rate until you go to head back, and then charge a flat rate on top of your hours.
  3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a fun job........window time and all. The only way I would do this my hourly rate port to port. That means from the time I hook up my rig in the yard to the time I unhook when I get back to the yard. That is a safe way to go. Make sure you get a signed contract and a healthy deposit........around here they are negotiating hard at the beginning of the job, during the job and when it comes time for payment of the agreed price they still want to negotiate...