1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Much?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KerryB, Sep 6, 2001.

1. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I've searched and searched and probably overlooked it, so if I have please forgive me.
    My question is how do I convert a 40lb bag of cow manure to sq ft of sq yds or anything sq, lol?Please help. Thanks in advance.
  2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Well, you can't really have a perfect formula for converting weight into volume, without knowing the density of the material you're working with. Not to get gross, but if that 40# is really wet and soft, it'll fill a small volume (per unit weight) than it would if it were dry.

If I were a bettin' man, I'd say a 40# bag translates into about 1 1/2 cubic feet. From that you can calculate any volume you'd like. But be careful - if my guesstimate is even a little off and the area in question is very large, the error will also be very large.
  3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Stonehenge,
    Your right is usually is a little on the wet side.
    Thanks for your help.
  4. Lawn doctor, in order to get your accurate weight, put the manure in your oven for a couple hours at I believe 120 degrees, that should dry it out for you so that you get an accurate weight.