how much?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by buysell, Aug 15, 2010.

1. buysell

buysell LawnSite Member
    from nj

I just put down some seed here in north jersey,temps are 80's during the day and 65 at night....I did 1k sqft..tilled till bare soil- put seed and light layer of peetmoss and rolled with empty roller..

Q= watering..i have a timer for the sprinkler to go on every 2 hours for 10 minutes starting at11am ending at say 5pm

Is this to much? to little?...:usflag:

put down ttf

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It is best to keep an eye on it, and be sure it doesn't dry out too much. The peat layer will help.
    10 minutes may be a little long of duration and in the hot sun, 2 hours may be a long wait in this heat. Next month overseed the areas that didn't quite take, and the weather will be more forgiving.

3. buysell

buysell LawnSite Member
    from nj

does or will the peat pull moister from the seed if and when the peat begins to dry?
    also,does peat moss have weeds in it?

thanks!

4. Smallaxe

Peat moss forms a protective layer, moreso than pulls moisture from underneath. There can be seeds in any natural product, but hopefully it was taken care of at packaging time.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Peat moss should not have much in the way of weed seeds. I think you are on the right track. If any standing water disappears in about a half hour--you are OK. However pythium fungus is a big problem in new seed, if weather is hot and water does not drain well. However 2 you did not mention starter fertilizer--you need it. And a turfbuilding fertilizer in 30 days and again at 60 days.

6. Smallaxe

It is a good reminder about putting grass to bed wet. It needs to be dried, b4 nitefall.
    I wouldn't worry about all the N or P, for young seed. If you have decent soil fertility, your seedlings should be fine.
    Note the causes for pythium listed here:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/pp950w.htm#pythium

"Pythium Blight is most severe with day temperatures of 84-95 F and night temperatures above 68 F. The disease is more severe on heavily fertilized cool-season grasses."

7. buysell

buysell LawnSite Member
    from nj

thnks small axe and riggle:clapping: