1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Jul 17, 2004.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying a wright stander, but first I would like to sell my existing mower. 2002 Scag 36" belt drive with around 300 hrs just replaced belts and comes with bagger, sulky(proslide), mulch plate. How much do you think its worth. I need to decide if I should keep the scag or upgrade to the Stander.
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not too familiar with the pricing value of Scag's, but sounds like you have a pretty decent one to sell, go to a Scag dealer and ask him to appraise it. Good luck on the Wright Stander, I love those machines:D
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say in the range of $1200-1800 depending on the condition of it and the accesories...Maybe less, maybe more.. Show us a pic if you can..
  4. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

You get my email about the AFB?

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well before you buy a stander. Is the scag you're only machine? If it is. I would keep it as a back up. Back up mowers will save your butt if you break your front line machine. I did that once and I quick went a bought a used metro to be a back up machine and a small area mower. I am never doing lawns that took a 48" walk behind with a 21" again. A 32" is bad enough, but better than a 21". Now I have a back up to the back up mower. My kubota B7500 has a 60" MMM. It has been pressed into service more than once.

But then again a stander is very reliable. They just run and run. So you really don't need a back up.

If you are buying a stander with a bigger deck, keep it for small areas.

So when can we put another mark down on the scoreboard for Wright? The number of stander owner/believers is growing everyday.
  6. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I don't think keeping the 36" would be very practical for me at this time. I am only 14 and having two mowers at my age is a waste, because I only mow 10 yards right now. If I were to keep the 36" it would just sit in the garage. I want to upgrade because of time, I don't have very much time in the fall to mow because of school and football. I figure if I get a 48" stander I will be able to cut a little faster and not be in such a time crunch in the fall. I plan to expand once I turn 16 and can drive. I will then use the stander as my main mower and will then look for a used 36" as my backup. Right now I also have a 21" so if I'm in a bind I can use that.
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well 1st let me recommend the 52" stander. It is a much better choice. There is more deck over hang. Plus you get the front anti-scalp wheels. The 48" has a lower blade speed, than the 52". The 52" is the most popular choice of the standers. I got two and will buy another one next year.

On another note wait until your 16 to buy it. I still am the youngest person to buy one and I like to keep it that way. I impressed some of the guys at wright that a 15 year old wanted one of their machines. 4 years later I still used and love them.

Still the 36" is paid for. So it doesn't cost you anything to keep it around. I know how hard it is due to school and time to mow. That is how I convinced my father to let me buy my 1st walk behind.