how NOT to do drip

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sheshovel, Jun 16, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

this was at a new commercial I happened to be checking out,the whole install is a big joke.

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

That must be trick photography because it looks like nothing more than 1/4" distribution tubing, or perhaps laser drip tubing.

Lets see... if you run forty feet of this stuff, branch once, then branch again, you could probably end up with a nice low gallonage drip at the ends. "Look ma, no need for emitters."

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a guy's garden last month that was the same way... All 1/4 inch tubing and I'd bet there was a mile of it on this 40' x 40' garden plot. All of it snaked back to this "distribution hub" that was nailed to the fence and hooked to a garden hose. I guess if he just left it on 24/7 it may drip enough to water a few things... Just kinda stupid if you ask me.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My tech went to one job this spring that had 7 zones full of microsprays. He said there were about 30 per zone, so about 210 microsprays sticking up 12" all over this guy's property through the beds. There are way better options for what was done there.

5. surge

surge LawnSite Member

I have never done drip irrigation before, but will need to in a few months when we put in our flower/shrub bed. Sorry for being a newbie here, but could anyone explain what exactly is wrong with this and/or what you should/shouldn't do for drip irrigation?

Thanks!

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well there are alot of things,have to get back to you tommorrow on this though,gotta go now,read back tommorrow afternoon and I will try to give you some answers.

7. Critical Care

Surge, as Sheshovel said, there is a lot to drip irrigation. Drip irrigation is sort of an all-generic term that includes a number of things, which also include a whole lot of products from a number of manufactures. Proper design shouldn’t be taken lightly. Just as in designing a regular sprinkler system, drip also has similar requirements and calculations to consider. In a standard lawn irrigation system you wouldn’t expect to see ¼” tubing, like in the picture above, winding around from sprinkler to sprinkler. If you did see such a setup, you’d probably laugh and say “that obviously isn’t going to work!” But knowing why it wouldn’t work is a bit different than just seeing that it won’t.

I’ve installed a lot of drip systems, and just got through with one last week where after I tested the system I noticed that I screwed up. Instead of drips coming out of some of the emitters I put on, it was more like streams of water. “Well, what the hey???” I found out that my eyes tricked me and instead of installing some 1 gph emitters around a number of plants, I had actually just installed some unrestricted flow “bugs”. Oops! That was about as good as installing some emitters backwards.

Bottom line is that it doesn’t take a whole lot to make a system not work, or not work correctly. Sheshovel can probably explain further on the picture, and what’s wrong with the design, but Surge – if I were you – I’d start researching some of the basics on the subject. If I find a good link I’ll post it.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Try to get a hold of Rainbird's Xerigation Manual (D39030) and you will have a detailed overview of the process and products.

9. Critical Care

10. surge

surge LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, especially for that link. Looks like I have alot of reading ahead of me :D