How not to throw grass on house or cars?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenchoppers, Mar 29, 2012.

1. greenchoppers

greenchoppers LawnSite Member

We seem to be having some kind of issue with grass being thrown on to houses and/or vehicles, especially in small yards where there isn't much room to work. Any tips on how to prevent this from happening in small yards? It seems to happen more often while trimming.

Please keep sarcastic responses to yourself. This is a real problem for us and would appreciate any responses to treat it as a serious problem.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Simple run the grass catcher on it. And teach your guys how to trim left handed.
  3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

1. Aim the chute away
    2. Throttle down
    3. Chute blocker
    4. Mulch kit
    5. Grass catcher
  4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

as for trimming I always walk backwards with the trimmer. I'd rather do that than teach myself to trim left handed.

mowing, personally I use a grass catcher in those situations.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You're trimming wrong. Trim left handed like grandview said. My helpers are REQUIRED to trim left handed.
  6. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I am build a chute blocker for my mower. As for trimming, Most the houses I mow have landscaping around the perimeter.
  7. martinlawn29

martinlawn29 LawnSite Member

Power chute ! Electric power chute sounds like to much mower for small lawns...small side bagger
  8. 1whitetail

1whitetail LawnSite Member
    from florida

I thought I was the only one that trimmed backwards. I have never seen anyone else doing it that way. People probably think that I don't know what I am doing. :rolleyes:
  9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

apparently dick doesn't think either one of us is doing it right.
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I was sitting at a fast food place, in the drive through lane, when the fast food place next door had a weed eater going along the ditch between the properties...

The guy was kicking up stones trying to get the weeds chewed down to ground level!!! one of those stones shot across and hit my truck?!?!?

Grasscatchers, don't fix stupidity... it is possible to weedeat w/out throwing stuff in direction of anything that shouldn't be hit... and no reason to grind up the ground and kicking up stones... that area should've been void of weeds with RP/pre-m, for proper management... :)