How not to wire a GFCI

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by LightYourNight, Jan 27, 2009.

1. LightYourNight

LightYourNight LawnSite Member

I found this on one of my jobs a few months back and am finally getting aorund to posting these pictures. The homeowner doesn't remember who wired this up. I would sure like to know. I would give them a FAIL on GFCI protecting those transformers.

This is why lawn guys should never be allowed to install outdoor lighting.

DSC04575.jpg

DSC04571.jpg

DSC04573.jpg

DSC04542.jpg

DSC04572.jpg

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

That's what happens when someone provides "design assistance" over the internet without the benefit of quality oversight and installation. But whatever makes a few bucks, right?

3. LightYourNight

you like to bust my balls dont you

4. Chris J

yep. Don't you like the conversation?

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Seriously, how could the homeowner have no recollection of who "installed" (I use that term loosely in this example) that mess?

I hope you ripped the whole thing out, or walked away. No need to get involved in a basket case like that.

6. LightYourNight

I think your totally right. I might give you a hard time if we were in each others shoes.

In a perfect world every homeowner would hire us to do their lighting.

Showrooms sell low volt lighting direct to customers and a lot install themselves or have a friend/handyman/lawnguy/lazy electrician install, and in most cases it turns out bad. Lots of times the customers get very incorrect info especially in design from the lighting showroom sales people. I try to give useful info to anyone who contacts we locally and online. I have in a few cases looked up lighting pros in certain areas if I get a decent order and pass the contact info along to the customer. Encouraging them to have a professional install the lighting they have purchased.

My local customers love to be be able to browse the lighting fixtures i quote online and see prices. Most of my business is face to face in my area. The internet makes up about 5-10% of my business and most of that is wire sales. Most of the business I get online would goto sites like www.lightinguniverse.com and other generic home improvement sales sites if not to me. I think its good if I take away some of that business from them and answer design questions. Those megasites are evil!! they have stores that sell everything from landscape lighting to rug out of the same office. And dont have any specialized knowledge.

I dont think im stealing any business from you. And if I ever get an inquiry from someone in your area who is in need of services I would be happy to refer them to you.

Again let me say that I don't get much business from the internet my site is used primarily by my local customers to check prices on fixtures and make decisions. On large jobs the customer probably wont look at the site much but on smaller jobs where budget is an issue the customer find it really helpful.

tequila shots here i come!

7. LightYourNight

They are super busy and had a assistant that set the last guy up years ago...

We ripped it all out and had our electrician install a 2 ganger for 3 transformers with controlscape units for seperate zones.

It was seriously dangerous before!!!

8. Chris J

Man I've got no problem with you, whatever it is your doing. Everyone has to make a living, and I am no exception. I don't like some of what your doing, but I don't condemn you for it. I just give you S*** for it. If it's working for you, then I'm happy for you. But I really wish you would use your own pics! I don't mind the usage of my pics for a short time, until you get some of your own, but damn! You have created a world-wide business with my work! That's just wrong.

9. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Whast wrong with Red Wire Nuts and Electrical tape?

LOL

10. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member