How often do most Commercials want it cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zz4guy, Dec 12, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Do they mostly want it every week? Or do some want 10 days?

I want to go after some small-mid sized commercials next year. 8000-20000 sqft properties and wonder how often they mow. Do they just do it every week to make it simple, even if it may not need it?

Just looking for some insight into what commercial places want. This has been my first year and now I want to move into some commercial properties. Thanks!

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

weekly only. dont offer anything else.

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

X2, dont offer or take anything else. If they want it every 10 days it will mess with other accounts since it would be a different day of the week every time. Also, in high growth times you would have your hands full.

4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We have several larger accounts that get mowed every 10 days, so we just do them all on the same day. I believe that we do a Lowe's, Goodwill, Rite-aid and a couple of restaurants. It is a little bit of a pain, but they pay for it in the end, we also do all there maintenance and snow plowing.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

man, i will never do 10 day properties, or biweekly properties. they are not worth it, and are a waste of time. and a big headache.

6. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

My Commercial accounts are seasonal. approximately 24 cuts. 50% down, payable on the last week of March and 50% balance on the last week of July.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

How in the world did a 10 day thing get started....is that common in your area? Guess no irrigation?

8. CenntenialLawns

CenntenialLawns LawnSite Member

We have very few bi-weekly, and those are just the non-irrigated non-edging customers, I'd say we average approximately 4-5 of those a year.

But no 10 day customers.

Have you ever heard of customers that only want you to come in and weed eat everyother week?

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I put in the contract that the grass will be cut as needed, and lays down an approximate schedule. every week it the growing season, and then falls of to 2x per month in the slower season to no cuts in the off season, but visits still occured weekly for trash pick-up, parking lot blowing ect. basically the mowing followed all the other customers. But they still had weekly visits for other stuff like shrub trimming, fert, weed apps, ect....

10. huntemup

huntemup LawnSite Member

Weekly,but we wil sometimes will go bi-in the dry times,July,Aug.It all depends on the rain fall.Tried 10 days&x2 but it was pounding our mowers and looked bad with dead grass we couldnt hide.