How often do you aerate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

How often do you full service LCO's aerate? I do some aerating when asked, but would like to get some sort of program going next year.

2. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Once a year in the fall.Thats when I overseed as well less stress on the new turf.:drinkup:

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I thought twice a year was normal.

What about dethatching. I've done it before but only in the spring. Would just once in the spring be sufficient

4. The Happy Gardner

The Happy Gardner LawnSite Member

Twice the first year coordinated with fertilization, then once a year after that. I aerate either spring or fall. They say fall's best but after 4 years I don't see allot of difference. Keep in mind we get allot of rain up here in the spring.

5. The Happy Gardner

The Happy Gardner LawnSite Member

I try to avoid thatching like the plague. It is to stressful on the grass and on my back. With dump fees and young labor costs it rarely pays much. Consistent aeration will fix a lot of your light thatch problems.
    :blob3:

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you avoid dethatching, it is because of two things. 1., you have a real dethatcher that does the real thing. 2., you know exactly what real dethatching is.
    One (real) dethaching, and it takes the lawn 2 seasons to recooperate.

7. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Spring aerating can really screw up your pre-emergent crabgrass control in the spring. Either your poking a million holes in your barrier at the sole surface or your trying to create a barrier that has a million holes in it. further more overseeding is out of the question. Just do them in the fall would be my suggestion. It's a great rainy day job (hardly ever rains to hard to aerate)as long as you don't mind getting wet.