How often do you buy handheld equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by exmarkking, Nov 15, 2013.

1. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm interested in hearing from the companies with one or two helpers and the owner still on site. I assume big companies buy equipment every year and the solo guys probably keep their stuff for a while.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

About every 4 years, or when I need to ditch some money instead of paying taxes!

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

As little as I can get away with but I also usually keep at least one backup.

4. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

i just recently upgraded my backpack blowers to new ones, I bought one a year ago and one in the spring, didn't really need to but my other backpack was 7 years old and getting a little worn out, and the other one was my dads, and wanted the write offs. but I haven't needed to buy a trimmer in 10 years but I still pick one up every 3-4 years and keep the older ones as spares. so I have 4 of the same trimmer now. still have the same set of gas powered shears i bought 4 years ago running strong and holding up well for the abuse i put them through.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

This is my first year of having employees. I decided I wanted everything to be as consistent as possible so I bought two new Redmax 2460 trimmers. In 2 years I will buy another two and these will be backups. Next year before fall I plan to pick up 2 new 7500 blowers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member

Since '98 ...2 FS85 trimmers for the first 10yrs with one serving as a back up currently and then a FS250r which I don't think I can kill. A 400 Stihl blower which refuse to die or give problems since '98 though is showing signs of use and I would replace with a bigger one if Stihl's where all true 2 strokes in the bigger models..A BG85 blower that serves as plan B since '98..still like new. A HL75 hedge trimmer that still keeps going since '98.
    That be for my Solo operation

7. exmarkking

I buy new every two years. The older stuff still works great, just serves as parts machines or backups.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. scaguy1

scaguy1 LawnSite Member

I have a back up for every piece of equipment I own so I run all my equipment until they start having enough problems that I determine they aren't worth my time any more and then buy new.

9. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

After buying a new echo trimmer in the spring and seeing it in the shop already I have decided that all handhelds at this point are throw away items. I will buy the low level commercial grade items from either echo or husqavarna and do no maintenance and replace them as needed. The husky 150bt blower is an exception and has performed flawlessly over the years. I have been beat down with the crap that these companies have been churning out. Maybe it is fuel related issues but iam simply to busy to deal with this nonsense
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. exmarkking

I honestly think it's fuel related. I feel like any name brand commercial trimmer is pretty good but the fuel destroys them. I'm pretty fed up with the fuel issue as well. Seems like the dang things just fall apart after the first year of use. I used to have trimmers last 5 years now it's more of:
    Runs good first year
    Runs horrible second year
    Buy new third year
    Posted via Mobile Device