How often do you change blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeasley, Sep 25, 2010.

1. jeasley

jeasley LawnSite Member

Do you guys change blades daily, as needed, or after XX hours/acres?

Also, how does everyone prefer to change them, air impact in the field, manual wrenching in the field, at shop first thing in the morning? Just curious. We just watch our cut, and change when we can tell they are in need. We typically change once a week. We are part time, but run about 70 man hours a week.

(first time I have started a thread, I am enjoying the site alot, thanks for all the info you guys pass on)

2. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I am part time, mowing approximately 20 properties a week, and I made 3 sets of blades last all season on my Scag 36". Well, I just got a new mower a couple days ago, but I used the Scag until now.

Like you, I just watch the cut and watch/feel the edge on the blade to know when to sharpen. I usually change them out every other week. Sometimes sooner, if I think it needs it.

3. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, and I change them with manual wrenching. It's not hard at all on a walk-behind, and almost as fast as an impact. I messed up the threads on a blade bolt with an impact once, and decided to stop doing that.

4. I have 25 properties, some bigger, some smaller. In the summer I like to change out every 3 days or so. I would rather have the blades sharp as often as possible.

5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Daily.
    On big days, twice a day.

6. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Oh Yae I do that too.

7. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

Every 3-4 days if the grass was easy on the blades.

8. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

if you mean sharpen, If I do it right I am on about almost 40 acres of grass and they still feel ok. One blade is getting dull. My last set of blades lasted about 250 hours.

9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Every 8 hours is a good gauge.

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I would die if I had to sharpen my blades everyday. Twice a week at most for me.