How often do you change oil in your Duramax?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, May 4, 2008.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We are looking at getting a 08 chevy Duramax/Allison.

Also, how often do you change the fuel filter, and how often do you service the transmission?

We would also appreciate any other advice anyone may have for proper maintenance on this truck.

How much do you pay for oil changes, ect., and do you go back to the dealer for all you maintenance?

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I change the oil when the truck tells me to and do it myself. There truck usually tells me to change at around 9000 miles. I think every 30k to 40k it's good to drain the tranny. Should probably change the external spin on at least every 10 to 15k. At 100k I also changed, front/rear diff and the transfer case oil. I also try to lube the chassis every time I change the oil. With all of that said, buy a gas engine and save on up front cost and operating costs. I love my diesels but it's not worth it paying 75 cents a gallon more.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I changed my oil at 3k (i think) then will again change it at 8k. I will also change to synthetic at 8k. I changed my fuel filter at around 7200 miles (got alot of crappy fuel) They usually last 10k (or you should change them every 10k) Mine cost 100.00 to replace. My first oil change was free, so i don't know how much they cost yet. Its good to change the tranny spin on filter at the first oil change. Go to .. they have ton's of info.
  4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

we have been changing our 08 every 7 to 8 no problems so far. It is real fun to change oil in these truck when you get out from under them you can drink a soda and the oil is still draining so much capacity in these diesel. of course the dump trucks take forever we fill up the oil pan one and a half times before we are done on all six tandems
  5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Dont go to the stealership for oil or fuel, tranny filter changes. Takes 15 min to ckange fuel filter..Stealer charges $110+ for fuel filter change. Can buy them online for $25-30. Like my Lmm dmax.
  6. scby3610

scby3610 LawnSite Member

I have an '07 Classic with about 16k on it now. When I bought it new I ran the oil to 2,500 miles then switched to Amsoil synthetic and haven't changed it yet. Amsoil says to run 25k between changes..Im gonna service when I have 15k on this oil and send it in for an analysis. They'll tell me the condition of the oil and how long I can run my next service. A lot of it depends on what your driving conditions are ie. summer/winter, towing, on/off road etc. I don't do my own oil changes anymore primarily because of documentation for warranty service should I have any big problems. The cost difference isn't worth it for me either. My local mechanic charges $110 for a service with Amsoil and Amsoil filter. For me to buy the oil alone through Advance Auto its $76. I grease the front end roughly every 3k. The fuel filter...going by the fuel minder on the truck I changed at 10k. This I do myself as it only costs about $20 for a filter and takes about 10-15 minutes. I haven't serviced the transmission yet..Im planning to do that at around 25k because I tow quite often. Overall I absolutely love the Duramax. The cost up front and fuel may be a little more but its worth it to me. I can tow 5k lbs around town all week and get 14 mpg. Can't complain about that. This is how I run my truck and am very happy with it. There are a lot of different opinions on diesels. The best thing you can do is research, like you already are. I definitely recommend the forum as well. Anything and everything you could ever want to know about diesels is on there. Good luck!
  7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Oil Every three to six Thousand Miles ...Trans spin-on every ten thousand and fuel every fifteen thousand.
  8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

oil every 7500-8500, fuel filter is the biggest pain in the a$$!! very poor design. it takes a little longer than 15 min to change. tranny will be every 30k.
  9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I do the oil every 5, fuel filter every 10 and plan to do the tranny filter every 25-30.
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I change our duramax oil once a year wether it needs it or not