How often do you change the hydraulic fluid??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Smith Lawn & Landscaping, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I was having some trouble with my dealer the only one around me that services my mower brand. They said it would be done in a week and i called up there today to check on it and they haven't even started on it. I went up there pulled my mower from the shop and im just gonna service it myself. My question is how often do you change the hydraulic fluid and is it something i can do myself at home?? any info would be appreciated thanks...

P.S. Before you ask me how mechanically inclined i am i was a toyota tech for 3 years and i also have a degree in Auto Mechanics.. thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Is your mower a Toyota ?

Different OEM's say different times but most recommend every 500 hrs.

If you post the brand/model number and serial numbers there are many on here that can give you do's and don'ts to servicing your hydro system correctly.

3. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

I didn't mean to sound like an ass. I was just simply saying that i do know mechanics and my way around.

But thanks i will get my model numbers and post them and see what everyone will say.. Oh by the way its an encore z42 i am working on replacing that very soon...

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

get oil sample analysis done...basically go to a Cat, Case, Deere, etc... dealer and ask for the kit...mine was $10 which includes the bottle and the test. You take a small sample of your oil and send it to the dealers lab...i gave them my sample on a monday and had results by thursday. It tells you everything that is in your oil (iron, lead, water, etc...) if you can get away with just a filter change then it works out to be a lot cheaper...it might not be a huge deal with a little mower but i do it on my tractors...i would rather spend $10 on a test then buy 30 gallons of hydraulic oil for $190

5. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Hey thanks dirt digger, im definitely goin to check into that for sure...