how often do you change your oil filter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CelticGreens, Mar 31, 2005.

1. CelticGreens

CelticGreens LawnSite Member

hey guys, im doin maintenance on my toro 36" proline WB. just wondering, how ofter should i change the oil filter?? i haven't since i got it last year and i dont know if that stupid or not. also, to do so do i need to drain the oil first? or can i change the filter with oil in the mower? also i see there is a small gas filter in the hose that runs from the 5 gallon tank to the engine, its right in the middle. should i change that? how often and all that good stuff. let me know

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Change the oil filter every time you change the oil. Don't skip it...ever. The owners manual should tell you the oil change interval. It's usually 50 hours or so, but I change mine more often. Sometimes I change it after 25 hours of operation if I've been mowing in dusty conditions. The main thing is to change the filter every time you change the oil. The engine will last longer if you keep the oil clean.

I change the fuel filter every 250 hours or so. Sooner if it looks dirty.

3. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

The oil and filter get replaced at the same time, IMO doing one and not the other is a waste of your time and the machines longevity.

Every 50 hrs is right on the money. An oil change before you start cutting for the year and when your done cutting for the year as well.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Check your owner's manual for their requirements. Usually they say change oil every 50 hours and filter every other time which would be every 100 hours.

For me I change oil every and replace the oil filter every 50 hours. I clean the air filter every 50 hours for sure, or more offten if your cutting in dusty conditons or during leaf season. I replace air filters and fuel filters(thats the small "gas filter" you see on your mower) every 200 hours. This is just me and some would say Im doing excessive maintenance. For a few dollars extra, I dont mind being cautious.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

oh and i forgot to say you need to drain the oil before you take the filter off our you will have oil everywhere.

6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Change your oil first. While that is draining to a trickle go ahead and take off your oil filter. Your oil filter will have some oil left in it. Put a rag or towel under it catch the drainage. When replacing the filter remember to put oil on the rubber ring. Put the plug back on for the oil drain and replace your oil. Consult your book for what type of oil to use. I would change your fuel filter now to. Remember to shut the gas off from the shut off valve to the filter. You will have some leakage but that will be minimal. I would do the oil and filter at least once a month. The fuel filter you can get by with every couple of months if you want. I do mind when I do the oil regardless if it needs it.

7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

A trick I use sometimes, if the oil seems dirty or dark, is to poor a quart of 5-30 (or other free flowing oil) through the filler tube while the drain valve is open. It seems to "flush" the extra contaminents away that otherwise might sit at the bottom, or not get drained fully. Then I let that all drain out, plug it back up, and fill it up with the Straight 30 HD. Works for me, and seems to keep the oil cleaner longer.

Kevin