How Often Do You Check Your Oil ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Restrorob, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, In this case it's four days lost work waiting for a new engine to be shipped in on top of a $2300.00 bill, All for saving 30 seconds each morning and a case of oil. :rolleyes:

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

almost every single day

3. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

it's easy for most of us on here to say i check the oils all the time. me personaly i try to check the oils but something always comes up . yesterday in fact i pulled my mowers into my bus. partners auto repair shop and did check all fluids and did minor tune ups and replaced the belts. i noticed the it had been a year with no checks and no repairs or tune ups. been real lucky. we have learned that it needs to be done at least once a week . from now on we will try to do this . it is cheaper then having to replace mowers. my ex mark 26 metro didn't have but maybe 2 ounces of oil. new mower only one year old .

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not everyday but atleast twice a week.

5. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping LawnSite Member

Before any piece of equipment is loaded on the trailer in the morning, the oil is checked. The #1 problem I have is some guys think if its at the full line, why not add a little more just in case:dizzy: . This really drives me nuts.

6. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

I check it always "Before" engine is to run,even if i'm simply taking a break!I'm kind of a
    'low-oil freak'

One thing always gets to me though, why don't mowers come from the factory with those little see through windows,so much quicker,less possible warranty abuse exuses.

7. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

I Check My Oil Every Day Or After 8 Hr's Of Use,, I Think That Work's The Best,,,

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Oil?!?!

What's that?!?!?

9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Ummm...when the engine makes a tapping noise or rapping sound....DUH

No, seriously once a week. I sharpen the blades,ck the oil, grease , etc. I only cut two days a week also.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Restrorob,
    I got a briggs 8hp that had a leak in the fuel pump, I replaced it with a new one. but now the new one will not pump gas I might have mixed the lines up the motor is a briggs 8hp 196432 / 1243-E1 any idea what the hook up orientation is? could I have a blown head gasket?