how often do you clean mower deck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jasdebcr, May 4, 2008.

1. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

how often do you clean under your mower deck and how?
  2. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

it depends on the grass, if its really long and wet then itll stick to the deck, i just push downon the handlebars and have one of the guys put a mulk crate under the deck them just get under therre with a pudy knife and flat head srew driver and scrap it all off-
  3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

as of yet? I haven't. 2 years. Nothing under it but blades.
  4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

When it needs it, usually at least once a week.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I used to do that all the time.
  6. pdenney11

pdenney11 LawnSite Senior Member

Every Sunday if i'm bored. I just take the trailer to the car wash, put the gate down and back the mower down till the back tires are on the ground and the front are still on the ramp, so that there is a couple feet under the deck to work with. Throw a few quarters in and start spraying it off.
  7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

In the summer I might scrape it or at least remove buildup from spindles during blade changes.

As needed in the spring. Sometimes a quick scrape twice a lawn, sometimes twice a week. Depends how wet things are. Once I start dropping chunks off the deck I know its time to scrape. (or pop a wheelie and bang off deck) Oops did I say that?
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Daily in Spring with all the wet and long grass it doesn't take long to get a lot of grass buildup under the deck. During summer once a week if that since when its dry out and growing slows a bit. A good old putty knife does the trick and the occasional blast from the air gun then I make sure that all mowers get washed at least once a week.
  9. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Not nearly as long, but I've never cleaned mine either.