How often do you edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yz250fpilot, May 6, 2004.

?

How often do you edge?

1. Every Cut

58 vote(s)
    62.4%
  2. Every Other Cut

23 vote(s)
    24.7%
  3. Other

12 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

Every cut? Every other cut?

2. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

I tried to make it a habit for my guys to run the string trimmer line down the necessary edges every cut..... you know, holding the trimmer head at a 90 angle to keep the dirt from creeping up over the pavement, etc., ... during very dry seasons we might have slacked up off trimming, especially short to hot surfaces like pavement to keep it from burning the turf.

We only used the stick edger when necessary ... for new clients or a fresh edge in the spring.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Once or twice a year.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

My lawns are mostly Couch (Bermuda for you lot) or Kykuyu so it has to be edged every time or it gets out over everything, gardens, driveways paths etc. Very intrusive! Pain to do but its gotta be done. I just use a line trimmer like 99% of the people here!

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

When it needs it to look freshly edged.

6. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I edge everything that the mower can't reach every time.Generally,I edge all walkways with the stick edger evertime and outline the beds with it about every 3rd time.

7. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

Every other time or as needed...

Maintain w/string...carefully...found last season crab grass invaiding edges from just using string.

Just picked up a new Stihl FC85 stick edger $275. Sweet toy!! And got a new hat for free....

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i do Every cut with 20 so lawns. expecting about 20+ more within the next 2 weeks, due to my 15k flyer advertising going out on weds. but i do it everyweek with my sthil 4mix fc 110edger. it works great :) takes me 2min to do a whole circle driveway + curb. i absolutley love it. i also love my BR 420C sthil magnum backback blower and my FS 110 RX Trimmer. they save so much time and work AWSOME. they were expensive, but well worth it :)

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it each time, but could probably skate on it occasionally on some of my jobs. The first time I edge a new customer's lawn, I burrow in, but after that, it's a fly-by edging.

10. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

wriken,

Are you serious? I can't tell.

If I skip even one week the grass grows over really badly haha.