How often do you fert

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kc2006, May 8, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do fertilizer but I've been wondering about this. Back when I used to work for a mowing company some customers would have the little sign saying they just got fertilized there every week or every other week. Now since I don't know much on fertilizer and all the other apps I'm just trying to learn alittle here. How often should a lawn be treated? I'm guessing they were only getting a weed and feed. I've had some guys tell me the lawn only needs fertilized every 6 weeks, some say a month and then you have these people that have it done weekly and bi weekly? Could someone clear this up for me? Thanks :waving:

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think every 6 to 8 weeks is normal. During spring it does seem to be more often because a lot of people (at least me) come in and spray the broadleaves about a couple weeks before the 2nd app. I usually make a total of 4 to 6 visits per lawn per season. Most don't do more than 6 (5 fert and 1 blanket broadleaf spray). Crap-lawn Will do up to 10 visits here if the customer allows them too! Every other week is pretty silly, that would be a spoon-feeding, maybe liquid I'm guessing, at about 1/4 lb. of N per K per visit.

With todays slow-release fert. technology there's no reason to be making that many visits to a lawn.

3. kc2006

Yea the ones that would get it alot were always chem lawn, i figured chem lawn was just taking the people for a ride to get more money from them.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Ther'e is no generic answer to that question. Too many variables come into play, soil conditions,irrigation,grass species,maintenence and geographic area,etc. Each situation has it's own nutrient demands.

5. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I FERTILIZE the lawns three times a year, and I FERTILIZE ornamentals four times a year. But back to your original question, "How often do you fert?" the answer is everytime I eat brocolli.

6. kc2006

I thought that was spelled with an A :rolleyes:

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Every 6-8 weeks depending on weather conditions.

8. Garth

I'm Scottish, Wha' pairt do ye no ken? Ye spargit dafties taggit jins ma greely!! Gied me a scunner, so ye does. Have I made my point? It's Scottish eubonics. We say things a wee bit differently than you lot. ;)

9. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

After reading Garth's post...

I am staring blankly into space.........blinking occasionally.........and all thought patterns have ceased to exist...

;)

10. Garth

ROFLMAO!! :D