How often do you get stolen from?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Nov 20, 2006.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how often thieves hit and steal tools from us. I have had 4 over the 26 years I'v been in business. 1982 a blade edger, 2001 line trimmer, 2002 folding ladder, 2006 blower.

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

So far (knock on wood) it has not happened to me. Although, I have just started in business this year. I hope to continue my practices to keep everthing in sight or locked up as to avoid any theft.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Once back in '98 or so. I lost a Echo blower and a T-230 trimmer. Everything stays very locked up now and I have equipment theft insurance. It's covered at replacement value, not depreciated value.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Been in business since '99. Oct. 2005, two RedMax blowers stolen off the trailer. The 8000 was two months old. The 4401 was one month old.:angry:

That's been the only occurence.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Never once in 14 years. Though I thought I did one time but my blower had fallen out of my truck not been stolen. I knew that because the kind people tracked me down a few weeks later at the nursery and gave it back.
    Knew my truck.
    Apparently the wife had a hard time getting it back from her husband who used it and fell deep into Echo love.

6. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember ... never let your guard down (or in other words ... always keep an eye on your stuff!)

:weightlifter:

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Or at least tie it down so it won't fall out. Hate to break it to ya hun, but your reminding the wrong lady here. I am the warner and reminderer bout that stuff. Not the warned and reminded.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Hey that's good, 14 years and nothing stolen. same with us, 8 years and nothing taken. funny thing is, same thing happened to us years ago, we thought we lost a blower. circled back around a few blocks, and it had fallen out of the truck.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

used to leave everything on the trailer, nothing for two years, then bam, 2 weedeaters and a blower. Keep things locked up now or put in garage. But just last weekend after working sun-up to sun-down in the rain I was beat, came home wolfed some food down and fell asleep on the couch. I the morning go out to the trailer and see my beloved stihl 260pro chainsaw was swiped:cry: I must have someone waiting for me to make those mistakes.

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

1 brand new Echo Trimmer (first month of use) taken from the street-side of a property. All equipment is stored in on site container storage or locked in trailor now.