1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how often do you guy sharpen you blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Jun 3, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

under normal use (not running over rocks and tree stumps, etc) how of then are your blads sharpen
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I keep many sets of blades so I don't have to sharpen all the time. I do change them out 2-3 times a week in normal conditions and 1-2 times a day in heavy growth.
  3. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

Under "normal" use (no bricks, rebar, logs, legs, or heavy wet grass) - they're changed about every 10-15 hours of use.

It varies - I look at them and see how bad they are getting, but really cannot stand to cut with dull or damaged blades. It gives me fits. :dizzy:
  4. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Every 4 days of mowing.
  5. Eleminate the rocks etc. and my blades could last a month!
    But the springtime bluegrass is lush and tender enough to use in a salad.:D And there's no sand in this soil.

The Toro 580-D has 11 blades. The outer "trim" blades could use changing every day. I guess they get into more trouble out there.:D every blade closer to the center is in better condition. The center blade on the center deck may last a week to 10 days.

I can't find any reason to grind away good blades. But I can see plenty of reasons not to. My last blade order was for 57 blades and cost $422. Plus I really dislike sharpening blades. The hearing protection and the breathing respirator plus all that nasty grit! :( There's a pile of blades in the shop right now that need sharpened.:( :( :(

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sharpened when needed, changed every other day.
  7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the time they are changed everyday sometimes twice a day, if you have ever cut bahia grass it will wear a set of blades down in a hurry.
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Since I run mulching blades, I have to keep them sharp. Change to fresh blades about every 8 hours of mowing. Keep extra sets so I can sharpen on the weekends or rain-out/slow days.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I sharpen them once a week which is the equivalent to once a day LOL. I don't have a big collection of blades like some guys, just one set of regular lift and one set of gators for mulching. Sometimes I run doubles or just singles either discharging or mulching it just depends on what i need that week. The mulch kit bolts in in just a couple minutes and I can change the blades in the field in just a few minutes so mulch/discharge switchover time is quick and I'd probably switch it once a day, mulch on smaller lawns discharge on larger ones where you can go faster. Works out well for me.
  10. I put a sharp set of blades every evening on any mower that was used on more than one yard that day. Always start the next day with sharp blades, have 7 sets for 2 mowers (36" scag & exmark) Sharpen blades on Saturday mornings when doing equipment maintenance with a magna-matic sharpener.