how often do you guys sharpen and/or change your blades...be honest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Otizzy, May 14, 2007.

1. Otizzy

Otizzy LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how many hours in between blade sharpenings and/or brand new blades you go...I've heard of some guys that literally do it everyday and others who never sharpen, but just replace their blades after 100 hours or so. I'd just like to see what the majority of you guys do, thanks.

2. Andre_Hedegaard

Andre_Hedegaard LawnSite Member
    from Denmark

As a home owner and not doing anything professionally, I will use a hand file to sharpen every time I "hear" that it cuts differently.
    (Talking about lawnmower here, not a thing that looks like a truck that you sit on.)
    Since its my own lawn, I'm rather meticulous and can see the difference if the blade was dull.
    Over here the price of a new blade is about $50 which is too much for me to buy once a month. Would rather use the money on newer/other things.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I only have a few account, but I sharpen my blades weekly using a angle grinder and a cone type balancer..

4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

About every 10 hours which is about 7-10 days for me. And it needs it by then.

I'll sharpen it sooner if I chew through some rocks, steel or wood or something.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

2-3 times a week for us in the spring. Honestly they could use sharpening every day but thats a royal pain in the butt. There is a night and day difference between sharp blades and semi sharp or dull blades.

6. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Once a week ...unless I hit something ..Its a pain thats well worth taking care of....your customers will notice.

7. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

I have 6 sets of blades and I sharpen them every week. I change to a sharp blade every morning before I leave home.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

And you get a nice clean crisp cut every day dont you? Thats the ideal way to do it.

9. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I change mine out after a day (8 hrs.+/-) of steady mowing. I didn't believe in changing them when I started a few years ago. Thought it didn't really matter.
    Was I ever wrong. :hammerhead: (Typical rookie mistake.) It makes a big difference in cut appearance, speed of cut and stress on the equipment. The cost of an extra set of blades and the time to sharpen/change is very much worth it.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I go as long as the cut is crisp. Often 10-20 hrs.