1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How often do you guys sharpen your blades??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieNC, Jul 25, 2006.

1. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

How often do you guys on average sharpen your blades?? Hours? days?
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Every 8 hours of use or every day whichever comes first..... ;)
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

after every cut-day, which amounts to about 6hrs on the clock. FWIW I use a belt sander to sharpen too, it takes less metal off and doesn't heat them up as much (lose strength)
  4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Why so much? The cut looks the same to me after not sharppening for maybe a couple of days.
  5. Gumby

Gumby LawnSite Member

I sharpen every 8 to 10 hours. If I let them go much more than that, I have to reduce my speed to keep getting a consistent cut.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

At the end of every day. Bahai puts a dulling on them real fast.
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Every 8 hours. Will have to try the belt sander idea. Not concerned about heat. You have to get steel red hot to affect the temper.
    Sharp blades are better for the lawn. Clean cuts heal faster. That is why surgeons use such sharp blades on you. Works the same for plants as it does for people. Less wear and tear on the mower too.
  8. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

that's the truth :cry: :cry: i wish i could go back in time and strangle whoever decided it would be a good idea to import it.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

About every 12-14 hours, with works to be a day and a half. Sharp blades=more speed and a better cut. And I'm not touching the "how to sharpen vs. tempering" arguement.:)
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

It is an aggravating grass but this time of the year it keeps me in biz. Makes the tightwads who want it cut EOW go to every week.